•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Sacred Plant Warrior

Socket Wiring safety help

Hi folks.

i have a mogul socket that I left wired as is except i’m Not sure about the white wire m. 

Not sure if it needs to be attached which I think so.  I have black, green and white wires. Green one was attached to the socket to ground it. I know at least that much. 

It’s like 13 yrs old but didn’t get much use before that in 2 yrs. running the old lunmatek 600 hps digital = 2nd generation but not dimmable.  

Btw when I saw current socket wiring I noticed they only had 2wires  black and white. Hmm anyone know why. I assume the grounding  was taken care of by another means

5992B8CD-4BAB-49CB-8D76-FF84EACE0CC1.jpeg

5506AE9B-12DA-4EF3-A78C-9401E34B0EE0.jpeg

1235005A-1347-447C-83A4-E1B6ADF20826.jpeg

F9BC7179-12C6-4D0E-81CB-ACC9371EE362.jpeg

43E2C8F0-0B4F-46D6-A0EF-E046C96437AA.jpeg

2377B790-CC60-4CAC-84B6-43A87612BE49.jpeg

Stick the white wire in that empty hole that looks the same as the hole where the black wire is in.

The empty hole at the bottom of this picture:

Green is the "system ground". It should be connected to the chassis of your ballast and reflector. It's at it's proper place. But why all those loose wires?

On 3/23/2020 at 4:04 AM, FoolOnTheHill said:

Stick the white wire in that empty hole that looks the same as the hole where the black wire is in.

The empty hole at the bottom of this picture:

Green is the "system ground". It should be connected to the chassis of your ballast and reflector. It's at it's proper place. But why all those loose wires?

thx dude,

you are absolutely correct. my mind power goes duh quite often. it's annoying as hell and embarrassing too.  as i have no real shame i'll ask for help in a heartbeat. wires = honestly if i recall it was because i couldn't run the 600 in a reflector like normal, so i ran it vertical style.

lastly i have no clue how i tightened down the wires to secure it in those holes. wtf smdh ;  I FIGURED IT OUT via a screw i saw through the hole. i tried to take the black wore out to wrap it but that started to loosen up the bulb tab in the socket. so i backed out and tightened the screws back. they were hard to access anyway. but it's cool i should have just enough space to wrap the open wire i'm being safe about. 

So, bottom line it will run as it. i looked at the actual ballast today and it was still looking new.  now a fan to blow up at the 600 bulb and i'm good. thx a ton @FoolOnTheHill :wub:

On 3/23/2020 at 8:20 AM, Sacred Plant Warrior said:

i have a mogul socket

In case you ever want to replace it, it's called an E40 socket.

If you use it without a reflector, you can cut back the green wire. You don't need it.

Good luck.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2020 at 9:46 AM, FoolOnTheHill said:

In case you ever want to replace it, it's called an E40 socket.

If you use it without a reflector, you can cut back the green wire. You don't need it.

Good luck.

thx I might need that info. FOTH . is it safe to use as is because that's how i was using it last time i hung it vertical. it's never been in a reflector before. i do have a brand new one for the 600 if i go horizontal along with new fan and new filter as well. also have a cool tube too, a real one not home made .