•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
spacemanspiff

Disinfecting seeds

So I'm starting to germ seeds from last years outdoor crop. I left them in the buds all winter and found some that were a bit moldy. After leaving them in water/papertowel
 etc, I'm finding some have a moldy fuzz on them. Not all of them but select.

Since I don't know which ones have it, is there anyway I can disinfect them without damaging them? Could I douse them in alcohol for a bit or would that damage them?

Any ideas?

31 minutes ago, spacemanspiff said:

After leaving them in water/papertowel

Cannabis survived for 10.000's of genetations without paper towels.

Just put them in moist soil, they'll be fine.

• Like 1

I germed all kinds of ways.  My favorite is to put in some worm castings.  I made my own castings and was full of sprouts all the time from the stuff I ate! 

• A bit of castings in the hole or sprout right from castings, both worked great for me.
  • Like 2

a peroxide soak is the way to go, then germ in medium. paper towels often aren't the best based on what that are made from. i used unbleached coffee filters now. they are brown. 

@Hempyfan i will eventually try that method. i'm thinking 3/4 light soil mix 1/4 castings layered on top just for the seed. what are your thoughts on that idea ? i can't see what it wouldn't work. and my way is because i need to save as many pennies as possible so using 100% castings is out. thx

• Like 1

I would mix in castings and soil but also put a pinch of casting around the seed when planted.  Hole, seed, fill hole with castings or mixed in is great.

On 4/1/2020 at 9:34 PM, Hempyfan said:

My favorite is to put in some worm castings.

The last ice age killed all the earthworms in North America.

So I wonder if worm casting is available in that part of the world.

They are an invasive species in Canada and the US, and a threat to the forest floor.

Dobson, a forest ecologist at Yale University, calls it “global worming.”   

We are the most invasive and terrible thing that exists.  Stop calling the kettle black!  (my humor and an old saying, hope that translates.):j

• That hardly takes away our being effective!  Mini grinders that break down fooder and enrich the soils is going to do just that no matter when or how they showed up to the party.
  • Nothing stays the same.  Understand entropy.  It's all falling apart, but our life spans tapered with limited appreciation is what gives us the false impression that things only begun to change.  It is only new to us. 
  • Stability is just an illusion and nothing has a right to that no matter our interest or personal belief.  Coronavirus anyone?  How about a bigger fish or one that breeds faster that gets introduced in rivers and such for example.  Something will always come for a resource be it big or small and/or something will change an environment that brings about more effects.  That is just how the laws of entropy work.  Not my fault.  Though I am using it outside of physics it is still the same.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FoolOnTheHill said:

The last ice age killed all the earthworms in North America.

So I wonder if worm casting is available in that part of the world.

They are an invasive species in Canada and the US, and a threat to the forest floor.

Dobson, a forest ecologist at Yale University, calls it “global worming.”   

We’re living in an ice age, it’s an interglacial period at the present time.

So how bout that asteroid that almost going to hit us next month lol

All we need right?

• Haha 1