•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

One grow winds down and another begins. It's the circle of life. A tear comes to my eye.

This grow is starting out slowly. About a week ago I started two Irie Genetics strains: Lemon Sunrise and Storm Shadow (5 seeds each - one Lemon Sunrise didn't sprout.)

Yesterday, I started soaking 5 Killer Cookies seeds that Santero was gifting about a year ago, along with 3 Mosca Pink Lemonade seeds (I was going to do 5 Pink Lemonades, but somehow a couple of seeds escaped into the carpet. If I don't find them, I'm going to soak down the carpet and get them to sprout so I can find them. I'm sure my wife won't mind.)

Depending on male/female ratios, whether one of the plants from my last grow turns out to be so good I must grow it again right away, or whether I go into a seed germinating frenzy for some other reason, more could be added to this mix. Silverfields is a good candidate.

Anyway, more as things develop.

IMG_5954 copy.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

On 6/21/2020 at 9:01 PM, smilestyle said:

Your wife is a generous person, isn´t she?

Not carpet-soaking generous, but as any grower knows, sometimes shit happens that wives aren't thrilled about, like the whole house stinking of reefer, surprising electricity bills, spills, etc. She takes that in stride.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Shit happens indeed. It´s probably more fun to live with a possible accident type of guy, than to be alone. You two laugh a lot , I suppose.

smile

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smilestyle said:

Shit happens indeed. It´s probably more fun to live with a possible accident type of guy, than to be alone. You two laugh a lot , I suppose.

smile

Believe me, when I hear some of the tribulations of friends who try to grow, I know I've got it good.

One friend would grow outdoors in the garden every summer.  When the plants started getting big, looking good and smelling, she'd freak out and he'd come home from work one day and they'd be gone. No trace, no salvage. This happened several times, but she seems to be taking it better now.

• Sad 2

I think folks miss your quiet spoken humor, you are pretty darn funny Misterdirt You would not be alive if you soaked my carpet lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

Believe me, when I hear some of the tribulations of friends who try to grow, I know I've got it good.

One friend would grow outdoors in the garden every summer.  When the plants started getting big, looking good and smelling, she'd freak out and he'd come home from work one day and they'd be gone. No trace, no salvage. This happened several times, but she seems to be taking it better now.

God damn!

I'm glad I got it good too^^

I had friend starting to grow indoors. She had token me as her councellor, knowing that Iwas growing for years.

Once she asked me about defoliation. I told her in short the pros and cons...and to leave enough fanleaves on the plant. She heard me, but didn´t understand. The next time, she showed me her garden, ALL fanleaves and bigger leaves were gone. The plants looked unhappy and I wasn´t shure, wether they would recover. They did, but it took some weeks and yield was small.

I told her to use bigger pots, for bigger buds. But year after year, she used small pots.

I told her, how important circeling air is.... not for my friend, complaining about bugs and diseases.

Cannabis councelling is bitter, sometimes.

smile

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/26/2020 at 1:37 AM, smilestyle said:

I had friend starting to grow indoors. She had token me as her councellor, knowing that Iwas growing for years.

Once she asked me about defoliation. I told her in short the pros and cons...and to leave enough fanleaves on the plant. She heard me, but didn´t understand. The next time, she showed me her garden, ALL fanleaves and bigger leaves were gone. The plants looked unhappy and I wasn´t shure, wether they would recover. They did, but it took some weeks and yield was small.

I told her to use bigger pots, for bigger buds. But year after year, she used small pots.

I told her, how important circeling air is.... not for my friend, complaining about bugs and diseases.

Cannabis councelling is bitter, sometimes.

smile

It took me a long time to defoliate anything. Now I remove growing points at the bottom of the plant and defoliate anything that doesn't get much light. For my last grow, I was convinced to defoliate a little to allow more air circulation, which didn't seen to hurt the plants or the yield, but I can't say for certain.

I know many people swear by it, but I have never seen the evidence I need — like a side-by-side grow with cuts from the same plants. But since I tend to pack a lot of plants in a small space, defoliating for air circulation didn't seem like a bad idea.

• Like 1

Not a huge fan of pictures of seedlings, but I can see some differences between the Irie crosses.

The first pic are the Storm Front seedlings from above. Both crosses use the same father, "Arise," which is apparently one of those magic male plants that make everything better. This is a cross with a White Widow female.

The second pic is mostly Lemon Sunrise, which is the Arise male crossed with Lemon Jeffrey, which I believe is a fem (unless he created a regular version of Lemon Jeffrey and used that as the female).

IMG_5960.thumb.jpeg.29e1e652a78ec86613886d5353dec119.jpeg

IMG_5961.thumb.jpeg.deb3ad5a7adafb54ba4a9849b5a8b644.jpeg

One Storm Front is in the second pic, upper right. Not much diff, but the Storm Fronts have generally wider leaves. There are two Lemon sunrises in the lower right pot. That was fixed yesterday.

Killer Cookies and Pink Lemonade are still just cotyledons with their first true leaves popping out, so no pics.

• Like 8

The other seeds I intended to add to this grow arrived, 3 weeks after they sent them "priority mail" from Oregon.

Since there aren't many domestic flights, mail service just slowed the fuck down. They arrived sometime on Friday and then got baked in my mailbox until about 5 PM on Saturday, and not the good kind of baked. It was about 90 F here (32 C). Hopefully they're tough seeds. But as you can see in the fine print, they are souvenir seeds, so I'll honor them in my glass case curio cabinet if they don't sprout.

Assuming they survived, they'll go into the next grow, which will be my first Octopot grow. The two fems will be going in, along with Sugar Punch, which has been sitting in the vault for at least 5 years (vintage stuff!)

IMG_5969.thumb.jpeg.00ed2ac01841fbdb85e8cd737271dffb.jpeg

I was debating whether my first Octo grow should be clones or fem seeds, and fem seeds won out. I figure they'd more quickly reach the nutrient solution reservoir than clones.

Meanwhile, I believe I'll have to add a Peyote Pancake clone to this grow. That stuff is the best sleep aid I've grown. I'll do a smoke report in another week or so, but for me, it's a no-cerebral-activity indica, which puts me out unless I'm on the move. And whatever move I'm on, it's slow motion.

• Like 6

I'll have to get some pictures tonight.

One new addition to the mix — a Peyote Pancake from the last grow is needed for medicinal purposes. She's already 30 cm tall, but I'm guessing this bunch will tower over her, soon enough.

The three strains above were not added to the tent, because it is looking like the Lemon Sunrise is going to be a tall, branchy one. I already topped the four of them at 2.5 weeks, trying to slow them down. Since I don't want to SCROG a mix of plants of different sizes, the Lemon Sunrise plants will have to have some heavy training, stem-squashing, and otherwise slapping into shape.

The Storm Front plants are vigorous, but well-behaved. I guess my meaning of well-behaved, when it comes to plants, is that they don't grow like Lemon Sunrise is going to grow.

Killer Cookies is also looking like she'll be a well-behaved plant, as does Pink Lemonade, but it's a little early for them.

I wonder how long it will take for these babies to show a preflower? I like to transplant into final pots before flipping and don't like to waste time with males, so I could be asking for trouble with the Lemon Sunrise. A serious bondage session is on the horizon.

Got to run. I have to make sure I have sufficient bondage materials, like ropes, handcuffs, chains and ball gags.

Oh, while I'm out, I might as well get something to train the Lemon Sunrise!

• Like 2

Cookies, pink lemonade, pancakes.
You musta been hungry when you ordered these...lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/13/2020 at 12:06 PM, BeachBud said:

Cookies, pink lemonade, pancakes.
You musta been hungry when you ordered these...lol.

There's at least a 50/50 chance I had the munchies.

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2020 at 11:54 PM, Misterdirt said:

It took me a long time to defoliate anything. Now I remove growing points at the bottom of the plant and defoliate anything that doesn't get much light. For my last grow, I was convinced to defoliate a little to allow more air circulation, which didn't seen to hurt the plants or the yield, but I can't say for certain.

I know many people swear by it, but I have never seen the evidence I need — like a side-by-side grow with cuts from the same plants. But since I tend to pack a lot of plants in a small space, defoliating for air circulation didn't seem like a bad idea.

The more i read about it, the more appealing defoliation sounds to me. I've pulled of a couple of leaves during my past grows, but some growers go as far as removing nearly all leaves on the twenty first day of flowering. They only leave a handful of leaves below and claim they seen their harvests increase ever since. 

13 hours ago, Hamme Hydro said:

The more i read about it, the more appealing defoliation sounds to me. I've pulled of a couple of leaves during my past grows, but some growers go as far as removing nearly all leaves on the twenty first day of flowering. They only leave a handful of leaves below and claim they seen their harvests increase ever since. 

That's where I need some side-by-side controlled experiments. Until then, my theory is that if light from the bulb doesn't hit a green part of the plant, that light is wasted.

• Like 1

It occurred to me that I have some cleaning up to do, and maybe even some thinking to do on this grow.

I was revegging a couple of plants from my last grow when I started this one, so the tent was never property swept out. Now I've got clones in there, as well, and a bunch of immature plants at various stages of development.

IMG_5975.thumb.jpeg.f4be29e0cd6d220c56d1a3836c1935ee.jpeg

Aside from the larger Peyote Pancake clone in the upper right corner, the big ones are Lemon sunrise and Storm Shadow. Lemon sunrise is on the right. I pinched it back and now the first two branches are making up for it by stretching. This strain will need attention.

IMG_5976.thumb.jpeg.9dd1ff98610938b50b3cccaecacd45f6.jpeg

The Storm Shadows will be big plants, but not necessarily tall. They are looking like robust, "well behaved" plants. The one in the first pic on the center-right is an example.

This next one is a Pink Lemonade, which is a pretty vigorous grower.

IMG_5977.thumb.jpeg.1a004570fc96e899aa8bbe672fd7f130.jpeg

Last, we have a row of Killer Cookies. Definitely smaller plants than the rest, but healthy and easy to grow.

IMG_5978.thumb.jpeg.82ab4eb109e26e5b772b71803eec0886.jpeg

So far, all are easy to grow. The challenge will be training the Lemon Sunrise, of course, and putting the shorter plants on pedestals.

Another issue is that I like to see preflowers before doing a final transplant. Then give them a week to root in the final pot before flipping. If I do that, the Lemon Sunrise bitches could be real trouble.

Rooting question — do plants produce significant root systems AFTER flowering begins? It may vary by strain. When I transplanted an Anesthesia (very indica dominant) plant at the same time I flipped to 12/12, a few years back, I found that almost no roots went into the new soil when I harvested and dumped out the pot. This does not seem to be the case with more sativa dominant strains, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this? I'll probably have to flip these soon, for the lemon sunrise sake.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Misterdirt said:

That's where I need some side-by-side controlled experiments. Until then, my theory is that if light from the bulb doesn't hit a green part of the plant, that light is wasted.

I believe that's why they leave the bottom leafs on the plant.

Nice plants you got there, they look healthy as can be! 

• Like 2

I heard several years ago that sativa plants grow in both areas (above and in the soil) at the same time while indicas tend to grow first the rootball and then what we see as the actual plant. made sense to me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MiNdLesS said:

I heard several years ago that sativa plants grow in both areas (above and in the soil) at the same time while indicas tend to grow first the rootball and then what we see as the actual plant. made sense to me.

That makes sense. I can probably transplant the wild-ass, stretchy Lemon Sunrise after flipping. Maybe the WW x Arise cross, as well.

I really need a small, third tent, like 1m x 1m, that I can use for vegging until mother plants fill it up. Right now I have this 5' x 5' and a short, 2' x 4' for seedlings, clones, and sometimes vegging (but it's kind of short to veg anything for very long). I'd like to veg some of these younger seedlings a little longer while flipping the older, Irie seedlings to 12/12.

Stay tuned. I can feel an expansion about to happen, and this one isn't in my lungs.

• Like 1

Here's the grow after transplanting the older seedlings. A few minutes ago, I found they were all showing preflowers.

IMG_5981.thumb.jpeg.1c86f1f7b17366dbd60a797fb1b078c9.jpeg

The count is:

Lemon Sunrise: 1 female, 2 probable females, 1 male.

Storm Front: 2 females, 2 males, 1 unknown

The Killer Cookies and Pink Lemonade haven't shown.

I have way too much going on in one tent. There are two Pineapple Fields revegging in the corners, a little clone dome on the floor to the left, with cuts of the PFs that are hopefully rooting this time… My 3' x 3' is "on the way" but it's going to be a couple of weeks. It was good to give those three males the boot tonight.

• Like 5

@MisterdirtYour're gonna have a tent full for sure. 
Did you find the square pots online or were they sourced locally? What size is the larger one in the pic? Thanks man.

12 hours ago, BeachBud said:

@MisterdirtYour're gonna have a tent full for sure. 
Did you find the square pots online or were they sourced locally? What size is the larger one in the pic? Thanks man.

That's the way it always is for me. This time the plant count will be 9 or 10, I would guess, after the revegging plants and the little clone dome thingy are out of there. But the Irie strains look like they can hog up room.

The smaller square pots were recent purchases at a local grow shop. If you look at the front row, the smallest ones are 5.5" x 5.5". The one on the right is about 8" x 8". [None of these will be the final pots I flower them in. They will either be in fabric pots or 5 gallon hard-sided pots.]

Then there are the two plants in the rear corners, that are revegging. The black one is a 12" x 12" and holds about 5 gallons of soil. The white one is 10" x 10" and holds about 3 gallons of soil. I got them online, 8 or 9 years ago. If you do a search for a "5 gallon square pot," I'm sure you'll find a zillion choices.

• Like 1

Thanks @Misterdirt, there are indeed zillions of square pots out there and that presents the problem. Yours look more substantial, many I look at seem pretty flimsy, so hard to tell online. 
Best of luck with all those little ones. :tu

@BeachBud

Try HTG Supply

• Like 2