•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

4 hours ago, madmaster420 said:

@BeachBud

Try HTG Supply

That might even be where I got them, years ago. 

The two probable female Lemon Sunrise plants are definite girls now. The unknown Storm Front is probably a male, but those primordial flowers are odd looking, so it lives another day.

One of the Killer Cookies plants is also female. The rest aren't telling yet.

The ones who have shown will be up-potted this weekend and flipped the following weekend, or sooner. (Just looked at the calendar and saw when they'd be ready, so "or sooner.") At least I'll be well supplied before election day.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how many people take a magnifier to find the tiny, primordial preflowers, but one of the Storm Fronts is giving me fits.

[Years ago, I thought everyone did this to sex plants faster. Then I found out no, most people have the patience to wait another couple of days.]

If you look close at the micro-flowers as they develop, the girls develop a little cone-like spike, and eventually a pistil pops out. The boys develop a structure on a pedestal, that can either be long or like a ball. The outside of the primordial male flower has a lot going on, with overlapping scales curling this way and that. These flowers are much smaller than the ones you'll see on your buds.

This storm front has a cone, but it has stripes on its sides. It is not on a pedestal, like typical male primordial flowers. I may have to flip it to figure it out. It hasn't popped a pistil.

• Like 5

I've been burning the candle at both ends lately, but I'm almost ready to flip to 12/12.

Started final transplanting last night and got a total of four, yes FOUR plants up-potted. I'll get the rest tonight. The grow, so far, seems to be:

3 Killer Cookies girls, 1 unknown, 1 male

1 Pink Lemonade girl, 1 unknown, 1 male

3 Lemon Sunrise girls, 1 male

2 Storm Front girls, 3 males

1 Peyote Pancake clone from the last run

So that's either 10, 11 or 12 in a 5' x 5' tent. That's pretty much in the normal range — except I'll probably have to do some bondage on the Lemon Sunrise girls, or they'll likely try to kiss the bulb.

IMG_5982.thumb.jpeg.7a8758b365149a6944b1ed275d244d56.jpeg

The four transplanted are toward the rear, with the Storm Front near the middle of the tent and the Lemon Sunrises to the right and also the one directly behind the Storm Front. The ones up front are sexed and unsexed Killer Cookies and Pink Lemonades.

Then there's the revegged Pineapple Fields keeper (probably the only PF I'm keeping) in the rear left corner. One of her clones rooted, so it looks like the zombie plant will finally be allowed die.

Better start cloning.

• Like 5

The final count is 12 plants, unless my preflower identification superpowers have failed me.

4 out of 5 Killer Cookies seeds were girls

2 out of 3 Pink Lemonades were girls

3 out of 4 Lemon Sunrises were girls

2 out of 5 Storm Fronts were girls

IMG_5984.thumb.jpeg.9cba77b8cfab2c8d1e6c14993701e67c.jpeg

11 out of 17 isn't bad. So far, the "ethylene treatments" seem to work in tipping the balance toward females. 

The revegged plant is still back there in the upper left corner. I'll take cuts of the rest of them this weekend, make sure my Pineapple Fields cut made it, and then she can visit the compost heap, with her sisters.

• Like 5

I flipped them on Sunday or Monday (sorry, I can barely remember to eat lunch, lately), so it seems like time for a Meet The Girls post. A cotillion of cannabis debutantes, if you will.

I didn't know what "debs" or debutantes were, until I lived in the south. I still kind of don't know what they are. It seems like there's some custom, among high society in the SE USA, to have a big party when a girl/woman is considered eligible for marriage, or something like that. Weird crap, they get their pics in the paper, blah, blah, blah.  But anyway, on with the coming out party.

First, @santero's Killer Cookies:

IMG_5991.thumb.jpeg.9ecd0817595b05b7c34564b00e798f28.jpeg

Yes, it's my lovely basement with great lighting. The red level on the left is exactly 2 feet long, for scale.

There seem to be 2 structural phenos — tall and spindly vs. somewhat shorter and heavy-stemmed. This might become meaningless as the grow continues. Here are the two on the right, to give a better idea. I didn't top any of the Killer Cookies, because they were cracked later than others, and I figured they'd have a better chance competing for light if they had one main stem. Obviously the spindly one branches much more readily:

IMG_5992.thumb.jpeg.9ed08c0810844d608a54fb9fb0162ea2.jpeg

I'm guessing the one on the left is Killer Queen dominant and the one on the right GSC dominant? I've never grown either strain.

So there seem to be two of each structural phenotype. Here are the other two:

IMG_5993.thumb.jpeg.b13bc279b7e761dfc0cded9f4da1234e.jpeg

And now, Pink Lemonade. As I recall, I got these at Mosca's booth at some medical cannabis cup event here in MI, before I had a med card. Yeah, I got hold of a wrist band, greased up the hand and next thing ya know, I'm in there, stoned as all living fuck on free dabs, and I'm buying seeds — even though I had no place to grow them at the time, and wouldn't for another year and a half! Did I mention free dabs at literally every fucking booth in the place? Anyway, getting off topic. I'll tell you about the search for my car in the parking lot another time.

IMG_5994.thumb.jpeg.b659a11c05e4f79b89638334fe73dbef.jpeg

OK, here we go. Look at these two. Using my intimate knowledge and experience with cannabis over many decades, I'm going to say we have a short pheno and a tall pheno here. The one on the right is the tall pheno. Any questions?

Now for the Irie strains. This is Storm Front, the cross between White Widow and Rasta Jeff's magical, everything's gonna be all right Arise male. Very uniform structure to these two. The main difference you see is that I topped the one on the left. It reduced the height by about 5 cm, compared to the untopped one. I don't sense ~trouble~ from these two. I think they may fall into my category of well-behaved indoor plants.

IMG_5997.thumb.jpeg.10de4b8fa656f98de6e90c7d3e751f4b.jpeg

The next three are the Lemon Sunrise plants. Irie has a fem strain called Lemon Jeffrey. I listened to a podcast on the fem strain, and the advice given seems like it applies to this one. It's a bit stretchy. Each has been topped, and as soon as that happened, the first branches to come out had extra-long internodes, kind of negating the height-reduction effect of the topping. Looks like I'll be doing some LST and stalk squashing on these girls. Maybe early pruning, as well. As mentioned in the podcast on the fem mother, this strain seems to be a nutrient hog — especially with Mg. There is 1/4 cup of dolomitic limestone per gallon of soil, for a total of 1.25 cups of dolomite per pot, and they STILL got Mg deficiency symptoms on the lower leaves. Thats 0.3 liters of dolomite per 19 liters of soil, for those who don't use what we so fondly refer to as "the English system" of weights and measures.

IMG_5998.thumb.jpeg.104d4362e848cb7ab3b35c1bcd901436.jpeg

And finally, in an encore appearance, Peyote Pancake. Her clones branch out like crazy. Grown from seed, she wants to grow as a single cola, with smaller branches that parallel the main stalk.

IMG_5995.thumb.jpeg.7749d3f74f533828f82ae3109e9f89f5.jpeg

I guess this is another strain I'm due to write a smoke report for. Or did I do that already? Did I write that or just think it? I'l find out after I hit Submit Reply, I guess.

Edit: After re-reading this, I think you deserve to know that today's writing style was brought to you by @ProfessorP's Pineapple Fields, pheno C! So go to Sannie's Shop and buy some seeds!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

the taller KC-plants in general usually favor the gsc, taking a bit longer (9 weeks)
and the stockier ones are the kq-leaners that take a few days less (up to a week).
both phenos/types showed similar tastes and smells, to the point of them being
almost the same, only the efffects ranged a bit, both being rather "lazy" in effect.
after flip you will see again a little difference in stretch, same does apply then too:
as in: more stretch -> gsc, less enlongation = killer queen ;) pls watch out for inter-
sexed expressions, i had none but with hermie-genetics (like gsc), i give out a warning.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

As I recall, I got these at Mosca's booth at some medical cannabis cup event here in MI, before I had a med card. Yeah, I got hold of a wrist band, greased up the hand and next thing ya know, I'm in there, stoned as all living fuck on free dabs, and I'm buying seeds — even though I had no place to grow them at the time, and wouldn't for another year and a half! Did I mention free dabs at literally every fucking booth in the place? Anyway, getting off topic. I'll tell you about the search for my car in the parking lot another time.

Holy shit what a great time that was...

Took us three hours to find the car and figure out how to get out of that damned cornfield!

1 hour ago, madmaster420 said:

Holy shit what a great time that was...

Took us three hours to find the car and figure out how to get out of that damned cornfield!

When I got there, I parked on the outskirts of the area where the cars were. By the time I got out, my car was surrounded by hundreds more cars. I lost all my landmarks!

Then I noticed a remarkable number of people out for an aimless stroll...

I got up this morning, checked on the girls, and they were staging some kind of walk-out protest.

IMG_6001.thumb.jpeg.ea9a43b8af9acd35ec9f72da47ddcba2.jpeg

I don't speak their language, so I don't know what they were whining about. Since they were out anyway, I took clones from each, changed the carbon filter and did some light pruning/defoliation. It worked out for everyone. Or me, anyway. And when you're dealing with members of the plant kingdom, that's all that matters.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm at that boring stage of the grow (1.5 weeks of 12/12), where the stretch isn't done yet and the flowers barely show. Surprisingly, Mosca's Pink Lemonade has a recognizable bud already. The short pheno is at the bottom right.

IMG_6002.thumb.jpeg.49ecd0b25458bb955a7ddc521e813e8b.jpegIMG_6004.thumb.jpeg.f43ce41bb28eda2ed4bceba61c9e1d9d.jpeg

Little development, even on the Peyote Pancake clone, by comparison:

IMG_6007.thumb.jpeg.95e53bbcde9c03a5acdbe36df39b843f.jpeg

The Lemon Sunrise needs to be convinced not to stretch too much, but she is eminently trainable. Both the LS and the Storm Front are vigorous growers, and if you don't tie them down after squashing a stem, they straighten up again and continue growing. You can see where I squashed this stem previously, where the twist-tie attaches to the main stem. The second stem squashing was required, just above it.

IMG_6006.thumb.jpeg.c579891276548afda0359d6a76158d5a.jpeg

They're all looking insanely healthy, but I do have a lot of fungus gnats. I put some Nemattack in a few days ago, and a dose of Nemaseek is going in today or tomorrow, just before lights out.

These are live nematode products that knock down fungus gnat problems amazingly fast. After you harvest, you can transfer the live nematodes into your next grow by adding some old, +nematode soil to your new pots. They don't reduce gnats to absolute zero numbers, but almost.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Your plants are beautifull, I have no glue about using fungus or bakto but seems to be the way for healthy Ladys.

• Like 1

The nematodes are starting to work. There are far fewer gnats in the big tent this morning. The clone/little mama tent still has a few. I put some in my houseplants, because they seem to be a source.

Death by nematode is kind of a gruesome way to go — kind of like the invertebrate equivalent of being parasitized by the creature in the Alien movies. But it's an occupational hazard of being a fungus gnat. They knew what they were signing up for.

• Like 1

Brief update:

The stretch is beginning to end.

IMG_6016.thumb.jpeg.c8d3c052f52c9dde9aea2f4156b5d217.jpeg

It also seems that Killer Cookies has NO PROBLEM stretching and catching up to her older tent-mates in height. The stem in the front, way to the left, is a Killer Cookies girl. So is the tall one near the center.

The Lemon Sunrise are not a major problem. I'm sure they will flop all over the place when buds start filling out. Two tall stakes per pot were installed, preemptively. As mentioned in the Irie podcast on the sister fem version (Lemon Jeffery) the leaves near the buds claw, as if there was some overabundance of one nutrient or another. I have heard that too much N can cause clawing. Then I heard no, it's too much P. Whatever, it may just be genetic. No one else is clawing:

IMG_6014.thumb.jpeg.cd71545af426a81e1106df013574109c.jpeg

It is an odd "claw," in that the tips are curved upwards.

This is a Killer Cookie girl — in the same sized pot as most of the other plants (5 gallon). She's about 1.5 weeks younger, and was much smaller than the Irie strains. So far, her stretch doubled her height.

IMG_6015.thumb.jpeg.6bc052e871876bfe180f8194a3de4491.jpeg

So, in some excitement today, the township I live in decided that everyone needed new water meters. So I had some unknown character in my basement, which is where my tents are. Thankfully, these gals were not in a stage of growth where they might stink to high heaven. Another couple of weeks, and the rest of September, will be a different story.

It's amazing that, even when I OWN MY HOME, some local government decision can be made where I have to entertain some stranger near my grow. I need to wall it off, but I also need to do 10,000 other things, so maybe when I retire… I have been lucky so far, that I have been able to hide it. Maybe my next tent should be made with camouflage pattern, so they don't notice.

• Like 4

high misterdirt,  beuatiful plants very healthy lookin girls there  ,best vibes,     what  type of lamp are you using? onelove     sunstone

1 hour ago, sunstone said:

high misterdirt,  beuatiful plants very healthy lookin girls there  ,best vibes,     what  type of lamp are you using? onelove     sunstone

Right now it's under a Digilux 1000W MH, but I will be changing that out to an HPS in another day or two — likely a Hortilux super HPS, because that's one my local grow shop carries for a somewhat reasonable price. I have some notion in my mind (mistaken perhaps) that the stretch is reduced under MH compared to HPS, but I have zero evidence.

I can't say I swear by any particular bulb, but I can't complain about these. I'd like to try a double end, but as LEDs are advancing, I could go that route.

I recently got a reasonably priced LED for a 3' x 3' tent (1 m x 1 m) that I intend to use for my keeper plants. I'll see how that goes.

• Like 1

Beautiful work MR D  have you grown the IRie gear before ? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Papalag said:

Beautiful work MR D  have you grown the IRie gear before ? 

No, this is a completely new breeder for me.

Many years ago, I discovered that @baqualin and I had similar tastes in weed. I mentioned, somewhere on these boards, that I was looking for some hi-potency, old-style weed, that was speedy, heart-racy, energizing and could cause serious paranoia in newbie smoker. He suggested Irie, so I'm giving it a shot in the dark.

Later, after buying the two strains in this grow, I listened to a few of the Irie podcasts. He talks about growing in general, but he also has podcasts on growing some individual strains he produces. You quickly come to realize this breeder is ALSO into this sort of buzz. But really, Baq's recommendation is enough for me to buy seeds. He's never steered me wrong.

I also got a pack of a strain called Double Dragon, which is a Durban Poison cross, whose description sounds like it could push a newbie into a psychotic episode. In other words, just what the doctor ordered! We'll see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

I discovered that @baqualin and I had similar

I like his choice of breeders I recently ordered useful seeds skunk n oranges and black n oranges  which i can’t wait to start ( next run ) based on his grow 

peace 

paps 

• Like 1

I was raising the light, hopefully for the last time, so I snapped a few pics of the Irie strains. Both seem to be showing the characteristics of the moms. We have now completed 3 weeks of 12/12.

This is Storm Front, with the White Widow mom:

IMG_6017.thumb.jpeg.20917361e4038cb133ecbe970aaf1304.jpeg

From the side (the  other plant):

IMG_6019.thumb.jpeg.a501371a46d55721c5210c52a0019ab2.jpeg

The Lemon Sunrise, on the other hand, has slimmer, more sativa-like buds, at this point:

IMG_6018.thumb.jpeg.015296d56d4cb5e04ab80412473541c3.jpeg

IMG_6020.thumb.jpeg.ba09da0a3e1b4b6e3de19f0c4cf05dae.jpeg

The LS also has narrower leaves, as one might expect of a more sativa-leaning plant.

I wonder how lemony and how powerful she'll be? Maybe she'd be a good cross with a male of @smilestyle's Lemon Thai? Anyway, a possibility. It will be interesting to see how lemony this strain is, in the first place. It's hard to imagine a more lemony plant that the Lemon Thai, but the description of the strain indicates extreme limonene.

• Like 4

The LS looks  more tropical Sativa to me then LT. A cross of them may forfill your dream of a paranoia high.

smile

• Like 2

Two things to know if you have a pack of @santero's Killer Cookies:

1. NEVER WORRY about whether the tall pheno can "catch up" in height to most strains, even if she's a week or two younger.

2. Fan leaves develop significant trichomes at week 3. I guess this is one of the features that makes GSC so popular.

IMG_6024.thumb.jpeg.da4434c222a9c0c501f1186e63d534f6.jpeg

Looks like this one could be fun.

While overly concerned that Lemon Sunrise would be an out-of-control sativa, the tall Pink Lemonade, tall Killer Cookies and the Storm Front are the ones topping out the canopy. LS does look like it will have the wispiest stems for holding up swollen buds, but I'm expecting the tent to be a general flop house. (Flop house is a term I heard while watching Little Caesar, starring Edward G. Robinson, when I was a kid, and not since. It was essentially a privately run homeless shelter. I am hereby redefining the term to mean a grow tent about a week before harvest.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks awesome Mr.dirt, so healthy! I hope u have A LOT of work while harvesting!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 8:35 PM, Misterdirt said:

IMG_6001.thumb.jpeg.ea9a43b8af9acd35ec9f72da47ddcba2.jpeg

used to be a Drywaller for more than 20yrs...and that realy hurts my eyes!! just book me a flight and i will help you to close your walls! the flying fibres not that nice.

your Ladies do look great and happy!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2