•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
tacman7

Are ants a Problem?

I was putting out some rat and mouse traps yesterday baited with peanut butter and when I came back a while later there were small reddish colored ants around them.

Caught a mouse overnight so traps seems to work ok.

I've seen them running around on boards and things in the greenhouse. I guess they don't hurt anything, they seem to leave the plants alone, guess that's the main thing.

Anyone have ant horror stories I should be aware of? 

Thanks

• Like 2

I've read something about some of the pests that harm cannabis, leave some kind of waste material behind, that attracts ants. Could be you have other pests, but that is not always the case. Do you have a food source for them, unless eeek like that above, eat the plants! ha! Might have something in your area attracting them. 

• Like 1

I can't say this would happen to you, but it did happen to me when I lived in South Carolina. (The statute of limitations is up!)

I thought it would be a great idea to take the plants out from under my shitty fluorescent light setup and put them in the sun one afternoon. After a few hours, before I took them in, I found that ants and put aphids all over the plants.

Some ants "farm" aphids, because their waste is full of sugar. When they find a nice, fresh plant, they'll quickly move a bunch of their "captive" aphids onto the plant. These were the common fire ants we had down there. So I'm not a fan of ants having access to my plants.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Yup, what Misterdirt said. If I ever see ants, I know I've got either mealy bugs or aphids. By themselves though, not really an issue in my experience.

I probably brought them there, I put out food for the varmints outside to give them other options than the plants.

They seemed to have moved on along with the grasshoppers for now.

My dust combo seems to make the plants not so tasty.

Caught the giant lumberjack rat. It would stand up and cut the main stalk about as high as it could reach and take the top half to go. Did that with two plants before I caught it.

Thanks guys

10 hours ago, OldSmokey said:

Ants can get caught in the trichomes.  Permanently.

What a way to go out hey!!

• Haha 1