•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
bigun

Ballasts and bulbs

I have not bought any bulbs or ballasts for a few years

I need to get some recommendations on these.

Went through my rooms and 2 of my lights came on and we t off prior to complete fire up..

Funny thing is 1 would fire a hps burn not M mh.

• Like 1

iup,    bigun , i  seen you like hazes,  i hope im not mistaken (again,)    in chimeras thread,    frankie,s  incence haze, im sure i seen it said it had acapulcogold in or would tht be a cross? we share a passion bro. :spliff:you not interested in new led,s       im mildly impressed ,    but needs adjustment to my grow technique. i have 2f.i.haze @ about half way through bloom                      happyweedhappyhead.:tu

• Like 1

No man I usually grow Indicas and a few have been hybrids 70/30 on Indicas side..lol

The Mohawk has more Sat. In it than any cross i have made.

Got a few huck x heri x c-99 f-5s

55 UK blue

26huckxherixroadtrip.

Last 2 are new..

Stay in touch..

Oh, on hids vs any other light...I have growed old and may b too old to change..lol

• Like 2

I've always been a HPS/MH grower. Had to learn how to disassemble security lights, remote the ballasts, and add some bulb wire length to them. In 2000 a damn 1 k hps was with shipping was pushing $700.00 -$800.00 bucks a pop. Maintenance kits from industrial outlets, about $250.00- $300.00  

I made the switch to digital ballast about 10 years ago. I bought a pair of 1 k's, and  3 Hortilux bulbs. One ballast went dark about 2 years into it. Hydropharm gave me a new one after it got sent back, and determined that it was a faulty, not due to getting it wet, or in a bad location. I also bought a returned LED California light House maybe, it just boils the bud out the plants. I have that with a 1 k for so long now.

I had purchased a Black Dog LED to play with. Lovely growth patterns that are very obvious. It however went dark, and upon returning it, the company would not swap it, but wanted me to pay for an upgrade in LED drivers. When I spoke to them, I asked why I should pay another price for what the unit should have had in it. So that made me go out and understand the electromagnetic band and why LED is LED, going all the back to NASA files. 

About 4-5  years ago now, a garden I was paid to set up, with their supplies, hoods, a couple of 1 k hps, some LED's., and teach them some growing lessons. They area was very weird, but very workable. To pack it all in and to keep environmentals steady, I used a huge 10" Vortex, remoted to another room, to get it to fly proper like.

Got it banging out buds, but with air conditioning running 24/7, the lights, fans, it was costing about $450.00 month in electric costs.

Two years in to it running, they asked me to see about reducing costs if possible. I did the research, and we/they purchased about $3400.00 in various HLG LED's, for early veg area, the hard veg area, and the flower room.

Yeah big bucks! We lost the AC totally, we reduced the Vortex from 10" to a 6", and we reduced the amount of plants we needed. So the book keeper/(growers wife)  told me, she figures that by the end of this year, all the LED's are paid for by reduced electric bills, and the huge amount of buds well over what they cut regular before the up grade.

So yeah, for me as an old guy, and since my sweet spot will be under major construction in the spring coming, I'm going to Phoenix everything I own as far as grow related, tents lights, pots, everything will be replaced with new tents, HLG LED's, new accessories, maybe a nice hydro set up in a dedicated tent, will be in play also. 

Keep your HPS if your more comfortable with them. However, LED can be on the same playing field as HPS/MH, IMHO. I love the ones I kept.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

high,webeblzr      iwas never happy with sod,s  l ack of u.v. ,i only grow percy , now so  i am only interested in the effects,thts why i started to smoke weed in the first place .     that ,n ,love @ fist sight!    if it tasted  real good  or yielded , thatwas bonus but not why i bought it. it took a lot of trackin down,    not like these days net ,n  ,  mob,s lol    .             i  liked thai  n  tempe ballwas alwys best i,   remember  my first indoor bud in 1980  it   was  myfist  sincemilla , a freind n relative brought it back from canada he dont even smoke but he knew this wasnt the cheap commercil seeded african  ,then probably 83,  i got some  imported, jamaican blue mtn sensie!   a dream, beautifully potent it smelled real good coconut n other flavers, tat made me start to put a ,littlemore value on flaver  but nt @ expens o f, the quality of effect    s  ,     is reason   for weed!  onelove        sunstone    its muhroom season opening next week  :verrygood  magick     flying season!    our   ancient   heretage  :engel:evil:

22 hours ago, bigun said:

I have not bought any bulbs or ballasts for a few years

I need to get some recommendations on these.

Went through my rooms and 2 of my lights came on and we t off prior to complete fire up..

Funny thing is 1 would fire a hps burn not M mh.

There are a lot of good ones on the market for good prices these days, due to all the competition from double-ended (DE) HPS and LEDs.

I like Hortilux Eye bulbs, and they're around $65 before further discounts, at my local grow shop. A few years ago, they were closer to $100.

If you're looking to upgrade to newer technologies, I don't know much. I was thinking of getting a DE, then I heard there were heat issues, now LEDs are really getting better with lower prices...

One thing is for sure, you can put more LEDs on a circuit than HPS/MH for the equivalent grow space. I'm going to try out a Chinese knock-off for keeping mother plants alive. I've read a very good grow report using Gavita's LEDs, but those are a little out of my price range at the moment.

• Like 1

I use  a HLG's  (QB120 (DIY)) $100.00 LED from my veg tents, it is one of the finest small light sources I've used ever. 

I also run a HLG (QB192 (DIY)) $149.00 for my early veg tent. Just a stunning light source for the money. IMHO.

Tiny current, tiny price, BIG results! I'm still learning their longevity.

• Like 2

Hi all 

@bigun good to see you on the boards bro we need a bigun grow log to wake this place up lol

i started with 400 watt HPS they where great lights With the old Chinese ballast  They Got Hot 

too much heat 

needed to draw air And heat from house Also 600 cfm vortex fan wow the power bill was crazy 

I went to mars hydro 2 each 96 chip reflector series they lasted 5 years and  were used for 

recently I purchased 1 California lightworks 500 full spectrum and a hlg 100 full spectrum both are killer 

less heat and great bud 

• Like 1

I moved to led (d.i.y) just recently cause i couldn't afford it earlier. Even though a lot went wrong with my first round, i broke all my hps records.

So, my advice is: don't invest in old technology and switch to led. 

With the d.i.y. Samsung strip kits you have the best bang for the buck if you ask me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Papalag said:

Hi all 

@bigun good to see you on the boards bro we need a bigun grow log to wake this place up lol

i started with 400 watt HPS they where great lights With the old Chinese ballast  They Got Hot 

too much heat 

needed to draw air And heat from house Also 600 cfm vortex fan wow the power bill was crazy 

I went to mars hydro 2 each 96 chip reflector series they lasted 5 years and  were used for 

recently I purchased 1 California lightworks 500 full spectrum and a hlg 100 full spectrum both are killer 

less heat and great bud 

Thanks bro..

I need to try a room with them.

If u will shoot.me their # and wedsite..

Got 88 seedlings going and a hopefully big grow of UK blue..the other 2 are not yet tested 3 way crosses..

Talk at ya later.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bigun said:

Thanks bro..

I need to try a room with them.

If u will shoot.me their # and wedsite..

Got 88 seedlings going and a hopefully big grow of UK blue..the other 2 are not yet tested 3 way crosses..

Talk at ya later.

Hi bro 88 seedling I see you didn’t slow down

here’s the California lightworks  they ain’t cheap but US made and well made 

I use tne 500 in my big tent it get a 5 ft x 5 ft foot print for flowering 

the 1000 was too big for me 

https://californialightworks.com/

a also got this one for my 24 x 24  tent ( ,foot print 3ft x3 ft ) and for the money it is a great light they also piggy back it increased the foot print https://www.amazon.com/Horticulture-Lighting-Group-USA-Quantum/dp/B07C57J7XX