•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Halforc

Silverfields leaf colour

G’day Opengrow,

I planted a pack of Silverfields regulars not too long ago, currently at about 18 days flower. Unfortunately I only ended up with 3  out of 11 females and even more unfortunately I just killed the last male today and didn’t realise the beautiful grapefruit smell coming from his stem till after I’d cut him down:o. Never mind, I wouldn’t really know where to put him anyway but it was just a cool smell I’d never had before with weed.

Anyway, I’m still kind of stoked because it seems I’ve ended up with three pretty distinct plants which is cool.

the question I have is does silverfields express any lighter leafed phenos, like almost lime green? The middle plant has been decidedly pale since she was a baby,
 and I was just a little worried that it was a deficiency rather than genes? 

In saying that They all appear to be doing well, though no sign of any frosting yet. Left girl has been the most vigorous by far and stretchiest also the smelliest stalk(fruity). Right girl is a lot squatter and tighter and has really dark leaves and fungus gnats can gagf. Pale girl is the slowest to flower so far and has a less pronounced, spicier smell I guess, also the leaves narrow more towards the petiole(?).

I can’t wait till Christmas!

571C46E3-1AC8-4A36-8814-32B840311ACD.thumb.jpeg.3e57799de0742cd9af3609a3bd1b914f.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Halforc said:

G’day Opengrow,

I planted a pack of Silverfields regulars not too long ago, currently at about 18 days flower. Unfortunately I only ended up with 3  out of 11 females and even more unfortunately I just killed the last male today and didn’t realise the beautiful grapefruit smell coming from his stem till after I’d cut him down:o. Never mind, I wouldn’t really know where to put him anyway but it was just a cool smell I’d never had before with weed.

Anyway, I’m still kind of stoked because it seems I’ve ended up with three pretty distinct plants which is cool.

the question I have is does silverfields express any lighter leafed phenos, like almost lime green? The middle plant has been decidedly pale since she was a baby,
 and I was just a little worried that it was a deficiency rather than genes? 

In saying that They all appear to be doing well, though no sign of any frosting yet. Left girl has been the most vigorous by far and stretchiest also the smelliest stalk(fruity). Right girl is a lot squatter and tighter and has really dark leaves and fungus gnats can gagf. Pale girl is the slowest to flower so far and has a less pronounced, spicier smell I guess, also the leaves narrow more towards the petiole(?).

I can’t wait till Christmas!

571C46E3-1AC8-4A36-8814-32B840311ACD.thumb.jpeg.3e57799de0742cd9af3609a3bd1b914f.jpeg

The two on the left don’t look happy, it’s not Genetics. Silverfields is my favorite and all are dark green unless you have a nute lockup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've never grown SF, but I notice the light green one isn't as far along in flowering as the other two.

I ran into a freak pheno of a plant (not SF) that had a problem taking up iron, and was only happy if she got supplemented iron every other feeding. So weak plants can happen.

• Thanks 1

Cheers @baqualin and @Misterdirt that’s the info I needed, haha I guess I was being overly optimistic. “Lime green pheno”, you must have lolled!

Any ideas as to how to remedy the middle girl especially?

All 3 are in a BVB substrate with a little of Sannies perfect start and 2 buffertabs. They have had nothing but rainwater and a little Bacto, silica and fulvic acid added every now and then. 

This indoor growing is a real frustrating challenge to me, I moved away from my original LOS (still have it though) to try this simpler ‘Sannies method’ and I still suck. This is my 3rd or 4th grow indoors now and I don’t know.. I might go back to my LOS as at least all the plants looked reasonably healthy. 

Thanks for your help guys, I’ll keep updating this thread- I’ve been too ashamed to show failure on here before now, but I won’t learn without it I guess.

Have good weekend, cheers:).

• Like 1

Some other thoughts-

Pots could be too small? They are 3 gallon pots. Doesn’t explain why it has been light green from the start though.

Maybe perfect start and buffertabs together is just too much for that particular plant? Worth noting she also had curled, dry leaves for the first few weeks. I thought it was environmental and bought a humidifier, but now I’m not so sure.

I have some worm castings I can harvest so I might start by topdressing them all with some of that as a bit of a health tonic. 
I also have a AACT setup at my disposal. 

cheers

Awwww, rain water, nothing but water, used it for years, but for indoor use in a closed system you need to add trace minerals to it. So MrD’s suggestion of iron would be a start. I would also foliar feed a little calcium. Adding more shit to the soil can complicate things, if they respond to the foliar then you have a better idea what’s happening to make adjustments. 

What I’ve learned in LOS is that less is more. Look at how your watering too, it can cause lockup’s either direction. I don’t own a ph meter, but a moisture meter has saved my ass multiple times.

• Like 2

It's definitely NOT iron. I don't know what it is, but rule iron out. The leaves would be distinctly "striped" (interveinal chlorosis). I just mentioned that plant because sometimes a freak plant can have an issue taking up one nutrient or another, or adjusting the conditions in its root zone to properly take up nutrients.

It happens that most chemical micronutrient products also contain iron, so you might be trying it, anyway.

Are the growing points greener than the rest of the plant? It kind of looks that way, but it's hard to tell in the pics. Usually that means N, but you also lose the lower leaves as they yellow with N.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, baqualin said:

Awwww, rain water, nothing but water, used it for years, but for indoor use in a closed system you need to add trace minerals to it. So MrD’s suggestion of iron would be a start. I would also foliar feed a little calcium. Adding more shit to the soil can complicate things, if they respond to the foliar then you have a better idea what’s happening to make adjustments. 

What I’ve learned in LOS is that less is more. Look at how your watering too, it can cause lockup’s either direction. I don’t own a ph meter, but a moisture meter has saved my ass multiple times.

Cheers man, I’ve now been foliar feeding for the last few days and the leaves are taking on a bit more colour, really mottled still but a little improvement. Still way behind others though. The bigger one on the left then had leaves yellowing off from the bottom of her but I’ve also now started a bloom nutrient (BAC) and I think that is remedying that now too, along with the foliar feeds. Hopefully anyway. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 7:14 PM, Misterdirt said:

It's definitely NOT iron. I don't know what it is, but rule iron out. The leaves would be distinctly "striped" (interveinal chlorosis). I just mentioned that plant because sometimes a freak plant can have an issue taking up one nutrient or another, or adjusting the conditions in its root zone to properly take up nutrients.

It happens that most chemical micronutrient products also contain iron, so you might be trying it, anyway.

Are the growing points greener than the rest of the plant? It kind of looks that way, but it's hard to tell in the pics. Usually that means N, but you also lose the lower leaves as they yellow with N.

Thanks man, the newer growth is darker in general, and the whole plant is very slightly darker since foliar feeding a very light trace elements mix. They are all also now getting some liquid nutes (BAC). Have some issues with the one on the left with lower leaf yellowing, but I think it’s stopped   now too. I think. 

• Like 2

hi, halforc, every part of your description is sativa  dom traits, but some diff lock out prob?   i would gravittate to the, high thai side, 3rd eye ganja!  yes please !:engel     thai bottleneck?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sunstone said:

hi, halforc, every part of your description is sativa  dom traits, but some diff lock out prob?   i would gravittate to the, high thai side, 3rd eye ganja!  yes please !:engel     thai bottleneck?

Hey Sunstone, yeah mate I think I had some sort of lockout, they look a little better now I’ve been foliar feeding and giving flower nutes. I’m not sure I follow entirely haha, but I would love try some old school Thai someday. This silverfields is probably the most Sativa of anything I’ve grown yet, really looking forward to that sensation man. And whatever a Thai bottleneck is, I wants it haha.

A little greener?

0EFDC259-D393-4D35-B458-9235E03650BF.thumb.jpeg.0e064fbcbe5eb21080f9b2a9dc4b3de1.jpeg7D21BAA3-9ABE-4F9B-945E-5F9B62B1406A.thumb.jpeg.c67de8f5efd726086ad7204ae8356bfa.jpeg

Lower yellowing? Seems to have stopped for now though.B507DE95-34B0-40E6-BCF6-195470144C0F.thumb.jpeg.dc9a60ce22d7885e86338b5f236dbf9a.jpeg

Starting to sweeten up:)
2F603433-8E41-4FAC-ACD6-7A5B5ED97889.thumb.jpeg.c59d456a80caae2e0ed047030ab03330.jpegF94D9E3C-C652-4197-B475-24C7575700FD.thumb.jpeg.43f9d9d77df86d771f279b9c22ff3683.jpegE0D332DC-23EF-4ACB-8FDA-252B95D07D2A.thumb.jpeg.a878a5fb64e3a03be2e94417806f3b2e.jpeg

No big problems with this girl yet. Still time though!!

B9AFE006-28A9-43E5-8A97-45B2FC36C983.thumb.jpeg.f9ba8513e33fd791661bcda7f12a5432.jpeg

• Like 2

high,,  halforc i have a similar prob  with 1 of 2 NLH-90.91f5,s(haze dom,phenoes)  from same seed pack,  1 is darkgreen with purp,red lines in leafs & te other had wide leaf,sf@ first,but vry soon started yellowing?  not cal or mg,  so isnt goingto yeild or breed..  its the only plant  to have probs but i got 2 much on riht now.  your light girl could be ,troical sat,s bottle necked to dominance   .    peace             :smoke       onelove                 sunstone   .

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Halforc said:

A little greener?

0EFDC259-D393-4D35-B458-9235E03650BF.thumb.jpeg.0e064fbcbe5eb21080f9b2a9dc4b3de1.jpeg7D21BAA3-9ABE-4F9B-945E-5F9B62B1406A.thumb.jpeg.c67de8f5efd726086ad7204ae8356bfa.jpeg

Lower yellowing? Seems to have stopped for now though.B507DE95-34B0-40E6-BCF6-195470144C0F.thumb.jpeg.dc9a60ce22d7885e86338b5f236dbf9a.jpeg

Starting to sweeten up:)
2F603433-8E41-4FAC-ACD6-7A5B5ED97889.thumb.jpeg.c59d456a80caae2e0ed047030ab03330.jpegF94D9E3C-C652-4197-B475-24C7575700FD.thumb.jpeg.43f9d9d77df86d771f279b9c22ff3683.jpegE0D332DC-23EF-4ACB-8FDA-252B95D07D2A.thumb.jpeg.a878a5fb64e3a03be2e94417806f3b2e.jpeg

No big problems with this girl yet. Still time though!!

B9AFE006-28A9-43E5-8A97-45B2FC36C983.thumb.jpeg.f9ba8513e33fd791661bcda7f12a5432.jpeg

Looks like your headed back in the right direction, they look happier. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sunstone said:

high,,  halforc i have a similar prob  with 1 of 2 NLH-90.91f5,s(haze dom,phenoes)  from same seed pack,  1 is darkgreen with purp,red lines in leafs & te other had wide leaf,sf@ first,but vry soon started yellowing?  not cal or mg,  so isnt goingto yeild or breed..  its the only plant  to have probs but i got 2 much on riht now.  your light girl could be ,troical sat,s bottle necked to dominance   .    peace             :smoke       onelove                 sunstone   .

Hey sunstone, Ah now I understand what you mean by bottleneck, you mean the leafs structure or shape right? How they narrow to a “bottleneck” right? Sorry for the misunderstanding mate. Yeah it was different that it was the only pale plant (thought it was genetic actually), but it’s darkened up a bit now so I was well wrong there. I just foliar fed a general trace elements mix I had lying around at half strength and it seemed to help. Looking forward to seeing how she develops given the dramas she has had earlier on, she is waaay behind in flowering compared to the other 2 which I assume is a result of her deficiencies but we’ll see. Maybe she is a lot more Sativa as you say and will flower a lot longer anyway.. can’t wait to find out over the next couple months.

peace man.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, baqualin said:

Looks like your headed back in the right direction, they look happier. 

Yeah cheers for your help man, I knew you’d grown a lot of SF, stoked that you chimed in with Misterdirt to help me out. I’ll keep updating too.

Cheers

Also got roots on my first ever clones today, well one of them anyway. It’s actually a clone taken off the pale, sicker girl. This is an evolution in my indoor journey and I’m stoked:jump:

Question for OGers, Can or does the speed at which a clone roots, correlate with the general vitality or vigor of a particular phenotype?

Cheers

• Like 1

hey,  ,halforc,  vigor yes, but no ferts,  lack of food encourages roots to search.(dark  green = nutes .)   excuse me,( the bottle neck is not the, leaf shape,  its genetic,its the genetic dominance  that is  'concentrated'  to dominate:evil: .

1 hour ago, sunstone said:

hey,  ,halforc,  vigor yes, but no ferts,  lack of food encourages roots to search.(dark  green = nutes .)   excuse me,( the bottle neck is not the, leaf shape,  its genetic,its the genetic dominance  that is  'concentrated'  to dominate:evil: .

That’s cool man no need to excuse, I can be a bit slow to interpret sometimes lol. I feel stupid now but oh well. I see what you meant with genetic dominance bottlenecking now I just was a bit dumb sorry brah. A lot to learn.

I appreciate your patience sunstone, much respect. 
Thank you for your patience and knowledge mate- good to know on the vigor aspect for clones too. 

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Halforc said:

I feel stupid now but oh well.

No way Halforc!! We endeavor  to persevere. (LoneWatti-Chief Dan George)

All I can say man, keep moving forward with organics.

In the gardening orchestra, It is not the instrument, that creates a symphony, it's the conductor, who brings them in, at the right moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

you   not  slow,    thats me,  really,    im a genuine, well practised idiot,      ithink i got it down to a fine art.     practice  makes perfect , lol   :rolleyes:   ifuck up every 3rd post:whistle:  i only just worked the smiley face thing:mellow:

Edited by sunstone

halforc , my bad ,    i m not too good @getting mypoint over  somtimes   did,nt  mean no bad,   though        hey you sorted  it  :showoff:right.      they look  loved.                onelove      sunstone.

13 hours ago, Halforc said:

Also got roots on my first ever clones today, well one of them anyway. It’s actually a clone taken off the pale, sicker girl. This is an evolution in my indoor journey and I’m stoked:jump:

Question for OGers, Can or does the speed at which a clone roots, correlate with the general vitality or vigor of a particular phenotype?

Cheers

My experiences it tends to be more cultivar dependent. Other factors of course include light, temperature and humidity. I also feel the roots are searching more for water in the beginning over nutes, that’s one of the reasons Octopots work like they do, you can picture this on a small scale if you think about it. I will occasionally mist clones with a very very weak solution which keeps yellowing away, I do not like to chase nitrogen through out the grow and I have noticed no difference in root formation. This is just my experience and I’m a KISS person and try not to over think.

Baq

• Like 2

On 10/31/2020 at 7:24 PM, webeblzr said:

No way Halforc!! We endeavor  to persevere. (LoneWatti-Chief Dan George)

All I can say man, keep moving forward with organics.

In the gardening orchestra, It is not the instrument, that creates a symphony, it's the conductor, who brings them in, at the right moment.

Cheers man, that actually really cheered me up, inspired you could say. I will keep on with the organics mate; all part of the journey hey. 

• Like 1