•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
tacman7

Preparing the soil for next Summers Grow

I thought I was doing ok but the plants this year had some nutrient deficiencies. 

I grow red clover and crush it down with hay few weeks before starting the grow.

But I'm thinking spread things on the dirt over the Winter, like rock phosphorus, calcium, carbon.

Interested in any thoughts or recommendations about Winter prep.

When I pull up this years plants I will look for worms, supposed to be down there. I need to keep it wet and add things for them to eat over the Winter.

Also I don't want to kill them with any treatments...

Fine line.

Thanks

Rock phosphate will just stay on the surface.

Is this no-till? Or are you just trying to minimize soil disturbance?

9 hours ago, tacman7 said:

I thought I was doing ok but the plants this year had some nutrient deficiencies. 

I grow red clover and crush it down with hay few weeks before starting the grow.

But I'm thinking spread things on the dirt over the Winter, like rock phosphorus, calcium, carbon.

Interested in any thoughts or recommendations about Winter prep.

When I pull up this years plants I will look for worms, supposed to be down there. I need to keep it wet and add things for them to eat over the Winter.

Also I don't want to kill them with any treatments...

Fine line.

Thanks

Do you have a compost pile?? Beds need to be kept well composted. If your no till don’t pull the plants, cut off at the soil level and leave the rest, it will be gone way before you plant, You can then add amendments if needed, cover that with compost then seed in your cover crop and mulch it, leaving room for the clover to grow through. If you can find bales of Barley straw that would be better than hay for the mulch layer.

• Like 1

Sorry guys got busy with harvest, oh woa is me.

Ya this is no till.  I guess I should dig it up a bit to see if I have any worms.

Never got a compost bin working. Last year I left the stumps in the ground and they fell off later.

Not sure what all I can put on the top that would make it's way down. Gypsum?

I can use an inch of ocean forest to plant the clover in.

The most important thing is digging a good hole.
It doesn't have to be deep at all. 24 inches at the plant, and 12 inches as wide as you can get it. 

You can help things along by digging your holes now and adding carbs like raw sugar (Sugar In The Raw, aka Turbinado Sugar available at your grocery store) OR plain Large Flake Oatmeal for the microbes to feed on. Top with a piece of cardboard from a box to attract worms. Cover that with straw if you can get your hands on it (not hay!). If you do it now, you'll have a nice earthy bed in the spring.

Here's my recipe for my soil. Simple, but it works. You can easily use Ocean Forest soil for this and scale up the recipe if you need more soil.

Use the hot/bloom mix in the bottom of the hole, then the "normal" mix to fill and plant.

Here's mine from BorealSeeds.com from last year. I just covered it with a tarp and kept it moist for 4-5 weeks to cook.

image.png.c067af7fc259055033456aaf0e73c2cf.png

I don't know the difference between hay. I think I used alfalfa last year to cover the clover. What they had at tractor supply.

Two years ago I used this video to setup my raised bed grow:

https://www.cannabisfabricpots.com/blog/no-till-cover-cropping-and-top-dressing-with-brownguy420/

So it should work as a perpetual grow and don't want to disturb it too much.

It's worked fantastic both years but this year I had some nutrient deficiencies.

So I want to put things on top over the winter. I like the sugar idea, like to make sure the worms are growing good.

Gypsum? 

So add things but don't kill the worms.

I might plant the clover earlier, or should I grow something else?

Thanks for the help!

Maybe a two or three stage approach.

I have a bag of this I was thinking about spreading over the boxes:

Ful-Humix – BioAg

Ful-Humix® is a soluble, concentrated humic powder and powerful soil/nutrient activator. It increases nutrient efficiency and uptake, increases cellular activities at all levels, stimulates beneficial microorganisms and converts raw organic matter and fertilizers into available forms for faster uptake.

This is some Seeds I'm going to try over the Winter

CoverCrop.JPG