•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

For some reason, I rarely grow fems. That changes this grow. There will be a repeat performance of my cuts of Peyote Pancake, my insomnia cure, and Lemon Sunrise, my eye-opening strain, but the rest are new to me.

I bought a pack of Sannie's Sugar Punch way back when it came out, years ago, but never grew any. I cracked one seed and planted it outdoors, a few years ago, and it was eaten by an eastern cottontail rabbit. There are very few of those in my tent, these days, so it's probably safe to try again. I have two seeds left, as it seems I gave a couple away over the years. Both will be cracked.

Bebop and Golden Goat are Irie fems. Both should be sativa dominant hybrids. Golden Goat is supposed to be a very popular strain in Colorado dispensaries, and is from an accidental cross of Island Sweet Skunk x (Hawaiian sativa x Romulan). Bebop is a cross between Blueberry Cookies and Arise, which I'm guessing might be a little more to the indica side than Golden Goat.

Planet of the Grapes is an Ethos strain, which is a breeder I know nothing about and I know no one who has grown an Ethos strain, but there are some pretty powerful strains that I've tried from dispensaries over the last couple of years that had the Ethos name attached to them. So this is a role of the dice. Planet of the Grapes is supposed to be a heavy, stony, indica dom. 

So that's that. My old (Oh, must be about 8 months old by now — a Methuselah plant) Peyote Pancake cut will be going in again, and a Lemon Sunrise plant from the last grow will also be repeating.

This is going to be organic soil. I will wait on running Octos until I have a few more keeper plants I want a lot of weed from. If I just grow a bunch of Peyote Pancake and Lemon Sunrise, my love for variety will cause me to whine and nobody wants that.

When there are some exciting, action photos of the plants to offer, I'll post more. In the meantime, the traditional posting of pics of seed packets:

IMG_6211.thumb.jpeg.113cf0b1a69f82f5965696879a050790.jpeg

There are a few other plants from my last grow that I'm still considering keeping, and those are the Killer Cookies girls. I keep going back and forth on which I like best, between the most GSC-leaning and most Killer Queen-leaning cut. KQ might win, but I think I have to keep the GSC leaner, just because it has trichomes on its trichomes.

• Like 8

I was going to try and work Sannie's Motherlode in there, but I didn't order the seeds in time. Oh well.

• Like 3

Golden Goat is one of my favorites, awesome terps and a great daytime weed.

• Like 2

Seed viability update:

As expected, the two Irie strains, recently purchased, had 100% germination rates.

2 of 3 Planet of the Grapes seeds sprouted and 1 of the 2 Sugar Punch seeds sprouted, so I soaked another PotG and BeBop and both of those sprouted.

Today, one week later, the other Sugar Punch sprouted. So the official tally:

3 Golden Goats (100%)

3 Be Bops (100%)

3 Planet of the Grapes (75%)

2 Sugar Punch (100%)

The SP must be 7 or 8 years old. When one didn't sprout, I didn't think much of it, except I figured keeping it soaking in paper towels might be worthwhile. I did not expect to see a root this morning. it will be going in soil in another hour or so. 

That leaves space for only one more plant. It will be a race to see whether Peyote Pancake or Lemon Sunrise roots first. (Since PotG is described as a heavy indica, Peyote Pancake might have already lost the race.)

Not waiting for preflowers before I flip to 12/12 will be a new experience. No SOG on stilts this time around.

Update: I just got word my payment made it to Sannie's Shop. A little too late, I think, to get a Motherlode plant into this grow. I'm hoping for one green and one purple SP.

Edited by Misterdirt

Exciting seedling pics!

Yes, I know. It's not proper English to use the adjective "exciting" to describe "seedling pics." But anyway...

The Golden Goat seedlings, especially the one in the upper right corner, are starting out with remarkable narrow leaves. The Golden Goats are on the right. On the left is a Planet of the Grapes, a Bebop and a Sugar Punch, from top to bottom.

Looking at these babies and contemplating how long it will be before I smoke them makes me happy to be sitting on a dozen jars. I have to say, though, this pandemic has caused me to set fire to a lot more weed than usual.

IMG_6216.thumb.jpeg.0562cf0a3b81fb028bf7e60bfd6f87d7.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks to be a sweet run!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baqualin said:

Looks to be a sweet run!

I think I'm addicted to running strains and crosses I never ran before.

2 hours ago, smilestyle said:

I have the same problem and  I´m very happy with it.

smile

I think that's why god made me impatient with cloning — so I'll run more seeds.

When you self a plant to produce fem seeds, sometimes you get freaks.

The two at the bottom of the pic are Golden Goat seedlings, the one at the top is a Bebop (both Irie Genetics) of the same age, for comparison. The one with long leaves just DID NOT produce a second set of leaves for a while, and I was beginning to think it was a goner. Then it put up two tops, as if it were topped.

The other is a crinkled mess.

IMG_6217.thumb.jpeg.524761c724c806445945d74d2c1d7095.jpeg

The third, not shown, is perfectly normal. I would guess the two freaks will grow out of it. Usually, when I have a crinkled mess, like the one on the lower right, I can't tell which it was when it's older, without labeling it.

All other plants are doing well. No freaks. One Sugar Punch is a little behind, because she took her sweet time about germinating. Both of them seem like they'll be green phenos. (I did a mind-meld with them, and they told me they'd have green buds.)

On another note~

I was on another grow site and one of the main questions people asked was, "Do these plants look done?" Then they'd include blurry pictures of a bud covered with white pistils. So my question here is, how much longer do you think it will be until...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

They're both looking healthy now, but they aren't as pretty as the other girls.

I ALMOST culled the one on the left a few days before the pic was taken. it was just two leaves with no growing top. Then it started to grow. A good Golden Goat is supposed to be very good, indeed. So unless they're weak through veg, I'll take cuts of each and flower them out.

I'm especially interested in the Hawaiian grandparent. I have never had a sativa quite like the Hawaiian that was available in the US in the late 70s - early 80s. The description of the scent (and the reason it was named Golden Goat) sounds very Hawaiian to me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, organically challenged said:

are you going to put these into octopots? 

No. I decided I'm not going to Octos until I have more mother plants I want a lot of weed from. At this point I have two.

At this time, I have only one tent for "production," and I always like to have a variety of weed to choose from. I need at least 4 "gotta haves" before I go to Octos.

In soil, I can grow a dozen to 18 girls at a time. I want to crack a lot of seeds and find what I want to keep. That means Octos will have to wait.

3 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

No. I decided I'm not going to Octos until I have more mother plants I want a lot of weed from. At this point I have two.

At this time, I have only one tent for "production," and I always like to have a variety of weed to choose from. I need at least 4 "gotta haves" before I go to Octos.

In soil, I can grow a dozen to 18 girls at a time. I want to crack a lot of seeds and find what I want to keep. That means Octos will have to wait.

I have to chuckle at that, no Octopots unless you want a lot of weed lol

It's true. I want variety and Octos will cut me down to probably 4 plants (though I'm foolish enough to try 6, for variety's sake). So I have to make sure they are 4 plants I'll be happy with.

The ideal solution would be more tents and believe me, the wheels are in motion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

It's true. I want variety and Octos will cut me down to probably 4 plants (though I'm foolish enough to try 6, for variety's sake). So I have to make sure they are 4 plants I'll be happy with.

The ideal solution would be more tents and believe me, the wheels are in motion.

One time I did 22 on a flood table. I have like a mother in law apartment on one side of my basement, had it made with a big walk-in closet and cedar closet, I stole the closets for the grow :) I would not mind a larger room, I have to use a tube to water I can't get in there when the plants get bigger lol. There is no room, I had to climb under them to check trichs on the back ones, almost fell into them, I could use a bigger room.

• Like 1

Due to my extraordinary mental powers, I know what everyone is thinking: Where are the boring seedling pics?

Sorry everyone, but the seedlings have officially become youngsters. So I'll bore you with youngster pics. But first, the bad news — Back in September, I found thrips on a few clones I was deciding whether to keep. I blasted them with neem, and that seemed to do it. I believe some mites came in around the same time. So anyway my seedlings had a few mites.

I didn't want to use neem again, as that stuff is kinda gross, and the only other thing I had was a pyrethrin-based spray for houseplants, and I blasted them without taking them out from under the lights. No one seemed to mind, except the Golden Goats. Here are the three Golden Goats, today.

IMG_6219.thumb.jpeg.2ebff0b129500c8228c8bacf61b3a628.jpeg

This fem is a selfed fem. During a podcast, the breeder mentioned that Golden Goat usually shows assorted deficiency symptoms, especially the macronutrients. These gals were definitely hurt more than any of the others from the mites and my treatments (after the pyrethrins, I used Nuke 'Em on them, several times, and have not see mites or signs of them since). But I'm not going to give up on them, at this point. I've heard too much about the strain. They're also pretty close in growth to the other plants, they're just uglier.

These are the Sugar Punch gals:

IMG_6220.thumb.jpeg.370f90e2b932e71e0c2d57fc0b4277be.jpeg

Both are vigorous. The one on the left took a full week to crack its shell, while the other germinated after one day, which explains the difference in size. Notice how light colored the golden goats are, in the background, by comparison.

These are the BeBop gals, which is the other Irie strain I have going now. This is not a selfed fem. She's quite a vigorous grower. The one in the center was germed a week after the other two, when it seemed like I was going to be short a Sugar Punch and a Planet of the Grapes. Well, I'm no longer short on plants.

IMG_6221.thumb.jpeg.a3628d7bf95fa066d358b4715ae65c7b.jpeg

They have the same kind of vigor as the Sugar Punch. Really, the only finicky plant is the Golden Goat.

These are the Planet of the Grapes girls.

IMG_6222.thumb.jpeg.697dd85af0e7772d3c63d6485b5a5d7c.jpeg

The one on the right was germed about a week after the other two.

They will be up-potted to either 1 or 2 gallon containers today, with fresh nutes, etc.

A Lemon Sunshine clone will also be flowered with these gals, and maybe a Storm Shadow. A plant produced a male ball or two in my last grow, causing the Storm Shadow to be partially seeded (among other plants that were partially seeded). I want to grow it out again, unseeded, because it's fairly potent in its seeded state and...

• Like 4

It's time for the big girl tent. It seems like a grow hasn't begun until they're in the 5' x 5'.

IMG_6223.thumb.jpeg.1012774582a9cabf9c6868d41c272e9f.jpeg

As far as root vigor goes, the Planet of the Grapes plants were all remarkable. They must have root-bound their old pots a week ago. They are in the second row from the front, center and right, and also the plant in the right rear. 

Bebop (on left, second, third and fourth row from front) and Sugar Punch (center, first row and right, third row from front) are also vigorous rooters. Golden Goat… not so much. Two of the plants aren't doing badly (center, 3rd and 4th row) but you can see how the one in the back suffered early on. These two had rooted out their pots, but not to the degree of any of the others — except the wimpy one in the front row on the right. This is the one that branched into two tops without being topped. It had such wimpy root growth, the roots barely held the soil in the old pot together. It's also crying out for calcium, even though it's gotten plenty.

I can tell that plant will get a nickname at some point during the grow. Whiny Little Bitch comes to mind.

There's a Lemon Sunrise clone up front on the left and a storm shadow clone in the tiny pot over on the right. The storm shadow is only in there, temporarily.

I went over all the plants with a magnifying glass and found no more mites or other creepy-crawlies, but it doesn't seem like people get rid of mites that quickly. My two older tents got a scrub down.

When these go into final pots, they're getting a pre-emptive population of nematodes. I don't know if they're from the Pro Mix or the worm castings, but after I make a soil mix, replant and water, it seems like gnats begin their life cycles.

• Like 5

The whiny little bitches (Golden Goat) look like they're sulfur deficient now. The symptom clears up, but yikes, they look like shit. Everyone else is dark green and happy.

IMG_6224.thumb.jpeg.959fe109cbc44231b6af741b4d1ef361.jpeg

This is the worst culprit — the WLB herself. She can't seem to take in nutrients fast enough, then she'll get nute burn if you over-do it. I'm not giving up on her. Maybe foliar feeding is what will get this one through. 

The other two look somewhat better, but you can see they have those light-colored growing points, just to a lesser extent. It seems like the longer and sativa-like the leaves, the worse it looks. I'm guessing it's the Hawaiian grandparent that's in there, making those narrower leaves.

IMG_6225.thumb.jpeg.8257998e12afb1dd92f6f7a7070ce67f.jpeg

When I up-pot, these gals will get some gypsum in their soil mix, along with the other goodies.

• Like 2

Things are vegging boringly along. One of my Golden Goats seems to have come out of her deficiency. I'm going to try and lower the pH slightly on the other two and see what happens, bringing them down to the low 6s.

IMG_6227.thumb.jpeg.37f0397dc6dc567660e4705d9ac280f5.jpeg

The Whiny Little Bitch is in the center row in the back. Her also-deficient sister is in the middle up front. Their sister that has pulled out of her problems is the second one from the rear, center row.

The Bebops, on the left, last 3 pots, are strong as can be, as are the Planet of the Grapes, on the right. The Bebop gals will be a bit taller. The Sugar Punch gals are right front and center position 2, also doing great.

The stringy looking gal, left front, is a Lemon Sunrise clone. The one in the small pot up front is a Storm Shadow clone. Her mom got seeded, and I want to see what she's like as a full sin semilla.

I should have transplanted over the weekend into final 5 gal pots. Roots are peeking out the bottoms. I'm a bad plant daddy.

• Like 6

It's flip day, so for the record, here are the gals at flip:

IMG_6229.thumb.jpeg.722b8f58ee4d348ba2bce44a1e06cbca.jpeg

Made a lazy-ass stoner mistake and must have added too much dolomite to at least one batch of soil I mixed. The pH of the soil slurry in the light colored plant, up front, was 7.15. I think she's zinc deficient, along with one other plant. Several others have slightly lighter colored tops, but they're much stronger cultivars (see @gardenartus! I'm learning from your diploma'd theoretical reefer growers!) than the two Golden Goat girls who are suffering the most.

If Planet of the Grapes was given too much dolomite, they don't seem to give a shit. Neither do the Sugar Punch gals. The Bebop gals must have gotten some.

I've been bending and popping stems all over the place to keep them at a relatively even canopy. When popping the Bebop gals, I couldn't help but notice the overwhelming stank. I think these gals will be putting the carbon filter to the test.

On another note, the aero cloner is definitely a big step up from just putting the cut into spongy blocks, as I've done for a few years. These cuts have been in there for 4-5 days, still looking fresh.

IMG_6233.thumb.jpeg.cc31a97123020672935b6a41b3de021a.jpeg

The only other exciting, grow-related event was the introduction of beneficial nematodes. I had/have a few thrips. No new signs in a week after hitting them with Nuke 'Em a few times, but since they have a portion of their life cycle in soil, why not? There were a few gnats flying around, anyway.

Hope to show a few flowers in weeks to come. I have to get my lazy ass in gear and put my LED kit together. This will be my first partial LED grow.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

About to get a very full 5x5! :verrygood

good luck! Let us know how the led project goes 

:wave:

• Like 1