•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Speedlandracer

How do you pick males for breeding?

Hey all! I've been chucking pollen for long enough that I feel like I need to refine things.

Of course, plant count is huge. But past that, how do you select males for breeding? What physical characteristics do you look for, and what techniques do you use? How much have you found stem rubs to correlate with terpene content in the buds? How much have you found pollen yield to correlate with flower yield in a plant's offspring?

So far, I've gone by structure, vigor, and pungency (if applicable), but I know there are more techniques than stem rubs that people use. As the seeds that I just dropped differentiate, I'll be examining cotyledons for hair density, vaping and eating fan leaves to test for potency, and stressing them in various ways to look for potency, scent, and vigor.

I know that there are some very accomplished breeders on here, so I was hoping that I might get some insight. Always appreciated!!

Essentially, what makes an outstanding male?

• Like 1

All that stuff is used, but you have to grow out the seeds produced with different males and compare them.

There are a number of podcasts that discuss this question. Structure, trich coverage, flowering time after flipping and stem rub scents are all used, but testing the seeds produced is the final test that overshadows any other characteristics you are using.

According to the Grow From Your Heart podcast, if a stem rub smells like reefer you know you like, it makes that male a candidate to try (assuming there is no disqualifying feature for you).

• Like 3

Hey @Speedlandracer 

thats all questions I ask me every day again to rethink about what Im doing.

you could look for resin on male flowers, always a good sign if you go for it first

very important for me is the overall vitality, I dont keep slow sprouter, grower, any kind of mutants or latebudder

And of course the key is testing each male on each outstanding female cut and grow the new seeds out to see the impact of the choosen male

What makes an outstanding male is up to you and what you like or prefer for your cross.

Start with as many seeds as you can get and select heavy and throw all away without compromises and wich you don't like

Going that way you should end up with a good base for nice plants always, with a bit luck of course :)

Rubbing stems is nice but had mostly nothing to do with the end resultsmoke, in my opinion, but if he stinks like hell why not keeping him to boost up the terps, I link stinky weed, who not :D

Important is also if you plan to cross Strain A (male) x Strain B (female) or Strain A (female) x Strain B (male)

the first cross could give you nothing special and the other cross give you the holy grail for true cannaisseurs (or the other way)

At the end its all about space to hold cuts, time and carefully watching the plants for their and your needs

For documentation use a growlog, that helps me over the years to remember why did I what I did, I think its more important then searching for the best genetics

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are going to be a lot of seeds germed and a lot of weed tested. I might have to quit one of my jobs!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

hi.     i     am on, em in  my treblinka  ' 3.  death camp  '      fur   weedy  weed ,      they  cant  hide,  from  me ,   only every  1   else .    daily  selections  ,   anytimes       canna  hell.mine take some abuse  before i   forgive  them  an  put  em   on the   rack  to die!   whoops  ' dry':D  onelove   s.s.   lol.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/4/2021 at 5:41 AM, Misterdirt said:

There are going to be a lot of seeds germed and a lot of weed tested. I might have to quit one of my jobs!

no need for you to quit a job dude. i got your back and will take this task off your hands since i have no job ! it's the least i can do for a comrade of puff. ha