•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Misterdirt

A few more Irie strains

Greetings, marijuana enthusiasts.

I went nuts buying seeds during the pandemic shutdowns/slowdowns/majordowners, and had to try them out. They're at about week 4 of veg, so I will not bore you with too many seedling pics, I'll just bore you with a few, here and there.

Two have the same dad — a male of a cross called Arise. From what I surmise, Rasta Jeff of Irie found a great male Arise plant that mixes well with many other strains. Since he is deeply involved in the Colorado commercial growing scene, he has access to many special, well-selected females for many of today's well-known strains (US well known, can't say internationally). So he crossed it to a whole bunch of gals and much of his stock are those crosses. Scarlet Begonias is a Red Headed Stranger x Arise cross. Dark Hollow is a GMO x Arise cross.

He also recently found a reportedly great male F2 of TGA's Jack the Ripper. Blueberry Butcher is a Blueberry Cookies x Jack the Ripper f2 cross.

Buzz-wise, Scarlet Begonias is supposed to be a ceilingless, energizing sativa. Blueberry Butcher is supposed to be an energizing hybrid, probably with many qualities to the sativa side (but blueberry cookies puts me down, pretty much). Dark Hollow is supposed to be very relaxing, zone out weed, which I figure would put a guy like me to sleep.

Anyway, so far there's one female each, for certain, a few males. The majority are still "questioning," I guess.

And one of the questioning Blueberry Butchers gave me my first whorled phyllotaxy! I didn't even realize it until a couple of days ago.

IMG_6682.thumb.jpeg.4cfd6414f623240e720f2e278e6d2b7a.jpeg

This is clearly an omen. I was going to sacrifice a chicken to satisfy the spirits of my tent, but I wasn't up for the headless body, running around bleeding all over the place part. The spirits settled for some fried chicken. Or at least I think they did.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

A bunch of boys got the ax. I'm pretty good at identifying males/females as soon as the barest speck of a preflower appears, but for some reason I remain in denial for a few days after identifying them. I left the denial phase and must have jumped to either anger or acceptance, as 4 Scarlet Begonias, one Blueberry Butcher and one Dark Hollow met the Grim Clipper this morning.

11 plants left, and not all will be girls. I just might have to grow up and do some training to make use of my tent space. Usually, I just over-stuff the tent with too many plants. I might just have to wedge a few clones in there.

• Like 2

A friend has his PA medical card, and bought some of the Arise buds. The buds were a bit hard, but had a real nice taste and smell, buzz seemed a bit subdued but IMHO, that comes from the state suppliers, just cropping, and not curing buds. PA system is just a sucked bone, selling corporate shit, at CRAZY prices!

This same guy, either earlier this year, or last year, saw Salmon River in the store. He has sampled mine many times at parties or on Sunday football get togethers. He always loved the taste, smell, and punch of the buzz. When he got his store buds home, and sampled them, he was so disappointed, zero smell, zero taste, and about half the whack. Since the seed is sourced from the same Dynasty, then to me, it's on the grower.

You Mister Dirt will rock these very well!

• Like 1

I know a lot of people who depend on dispensaries. They always gush when they get some of mine. Most have kids at home and can't grow, or I'd help them out.

There would be a market for small batch-grown weed, properly tended to, dried and cured, I'm convinced. But it would only be worth it if there were no middlemen.

• Like 2

One of our friends has been buying from a dispensary, he came over the other day, Now this tastes and smells like weed lol guess no smell or taste. Neighbor's eyes went huge when showed him a bud, another dispensary buyer, OMG look at that sparkle. Yea our home grows are much better, we take better care.

• Like 3

"There would be a market for small batch-grown weed"

That's what I'm thinking. There are so many new grows popping up all around me, it's probably like trying to sell snow to Eskimos trying to sell pot around here.

But I don't sell it anyway but that's where someone could make money, superior product.

I buy expensive heirloom tomatoes when I can get them, I also grow them when I can.

The tomato paradigm good model for pot sales.

In the supermarket next to the basil will be fresh hemp buds...

• Like 2

Seriously, the home grows are superior to what is at the dispensaries. The new gardens, not so much ha! But those who are experienced, no way can a dispensary compare.

• Like 1

I made comment on  IG about a smart dispensary owner buying stock based on quality of the high and the bud.  
their customers would never go anywhere else if that quality stayed consistent. 

told old comrade I wouldn’t offer up 200 zips because of the prices folks buy imported cali weed or whatever. 

I told him I can’t complete with folks who sell multiple pounds at once. Yet, I can offer better quality and legit Strains that 

most will not have access too in our area or much of the country. I told him abt 250-300 a zip. My plug charges 350 and though higher than I want to pay the quality is always constant and the puff is what strain expected. 

he don’t know it but I will make a deal @200 for consistent buyers. It’s not like I’ll be having lbs to unload ha. 

• Like 1

The final tally is:

Scarlet Begonias: 4 girls, 6 boys

Blueberry Butcher: 3 girls, 1 boy

Dark Hollow: 2 girls, 1 boy

All pH and other issues seem to have been cleared up by transplanting and switching to a different method of growing — still using organic products, but in a less-than-organic way. I'm not depending on the soil microbes to act in any kind of timely manner to deliver nutrients, the girls are getting supplemental feeds for the rest of the grow, with less added to the soil.

I'll continue playing with organic, to see if I can find a mix that meets the demands of LEDs, but not this grow. My local shop has Roots Organics products, and I'm using a few of those (though not the entire lineup, which includes about a dozen products).

They're in week 5 of veg, which means they're in week 5 of life in the way I count veg time. There are two scarlet Begonia phenos, based on structure: a classic, well-behaved Xmas tree type and a taller, wilder one. I have two of each:

IMG_6687.thumb.jpeg.bf4c4bcdb49984ebc5513cfd589d2caa.jpeg

This is the Xmas tree type. The one in the back is one of the wild-assed ones. She had been topped about a week ago, because she was way taller than the rest. She was the same height as the boys. Here she is, at an angle that doesn't show how much bigger she is:

IMG_6688.thumb.jpeg.e505cdac104b8cdc6738d396ed9b58a4.jpeg

But I can tell, from the look in her eye, that she will require strict discipline [insert sound of cracking whip here].

This is one of the Blueberry Butchers. She appears to be a classic Xmas tree shape, too.

IMG_6689.thumb.jpeg.2a0359224294ff3c638ca467d6e737a2.jpeg

The Dark Hollow plants also have similar structure phenos — a tall wilder one and a classic Xmas tree one. The strain descriptions describe all of them as tall plants, so the stretch could be interesting.

BTW, I never used kelp products before, but they seem to like it. The parts of the Roots lineup I'm using is Buddha Grow, Buddha Bloom (I have not cracked open that bottle yet), Trinity (which is one of their kelp products) and their Cal/Mag. No sign of burn, even in pots that received dry nutes mixed in with the soil, and no sign of any new Mg burn patterns. You can see what I am calling an "Mg burn pattern" on one of the leaves on the lower left of the plant in the 3rd pic.

• Like 4

Very beautiful plants Mrdirt!!

Just remember, moonshine is just as wanted as it ever was, even with all the state of the art gizmo's, in the corporate endeavors, yet my acquaintances still pumping it out right after the corn and  rye is cut and delivered, until they run out. I got my first shine from them in 1988ish, so yeah, crafted weed will always have a place IMHO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webeblzr said:

Very beautiful plants Mrdirt!!

Just remember, moonshine is just as wanted as it ever was, even with all the state of the art gizmo's, in the corporate endeavors, yet my acquaintances still pumping it out right after the corn and  rye is cut and delivered, until they run out. I got my first shine from them in 1988ish, so yeah, crafted weed will always have a place IMHO.

A while back I worked for the Dept. of Natural Resources in a southeastern state. We had a couple of game wardens (full police officers) who made some of the best moonshine around. Or at least that's what the other people who were sipping it said. I can't say the word good entered my head when I tried it.

• Like 2

It just occurred to me I haven't posted a pic of the whole stinkin' bunch. So here's the whole, stinkin' bunch, taken on Sunday, after I transplanted into 8" (20 cm) square pots:

IMG_6686.thumb.jpeg.5a47c988d2c1b8144835ad1daaee4e98.jpeg

The four in smaller pots are Lemon Sunrise clones and a Peyote Pancake clone. The LS mom flowered in the mom tent, because not transplanting it from the tiny pot I had it in made it cry, so single leaflets are the order of the day. Since I'm vegging and there's room, why have the mom tent running?

One more transplant before the flip and my tent should be full. If not, a couple of those lemon sunrises are getting flipped along with the seed babies.

• Like 6

It's almost the end of week 5 of veg, and everybody seems to be happy.

IMG_6704.thumb.jpeg.2f059dc146552cf4670211eeb489a963.jpeg

I decided to try some minor defoliating — just removing some of the giant fan leaves to let the light hit those lower tops. Obviously, that one right up front has not lost many of her big fan leaves yet, but her sister did:

IMG_6705.thumb.jpeg.671f4b7673cd4abf8b634dd4f5663e15.jpeg

I left the fan leaves at the top. We'll see how she does compared with the one up front. Both are Blueberry Butchers. Obviously I'm not yet game for the kinds of massive defoliating I've seen people do.

• Like 6

It's the end of 7 weeks of veg, everyone has been up-potted to 5 gallon containers, and these gals need to be flipped. Unfortunately I will be away for about 8 days during stretch!!!! It's like deja vu all over again.

I have the choice of flipping them this weekend and being present for the first week of stretch and missing the second, or flipping the following weekend, missing the first week of stretch, but leaving them to veg another week. Which would be preferable?

The third option is flipping around Thanksgiving week, after way more vegging than I've ever done.

I'm leaning toward flipping this weekend, training, bending and twisting for the first week of stretch and letting them rip for 8 days, unsupervised.

Regardless here they are. SB = Scarlet Begonias, BB = Blueberry Butcher, DH = Dark Hollow, LS = Lemon Sunrise.

IMG_6741labeled.thumb.jpeg.1235f073323c1056016f9c44c1114019.jpeg

The pot with LS in it is actually two clones of a mama plant that went into flower. Then I revegged and took cuts. They're up to 3-leaflet leaves now. They're not going to produce much, but they will produce it a few days shy of 8 weeks. Not to mention I just love Lemon Sunrise.

Structurally, Scarlet Begonias has two phenos here — tall and branchy vs. short and bushy/xmas tree type. The SBs in the center and center bottom of the photo are both the branchy type.  The Blueberry Butchers are all bushy, xmas tree types. I've been told there's a tall pheno, too, but I didn't get it. The DH plants are both tall and branchy. The one in the lower left corner wants more acidic soil. I think I gave it to her yesterday, so we'll see if she improves.

I abandoned the idea of doing a side-by-side of a lightly defoliated plant vs. an undefoliated plant. The BBs are way too bushy not to do some defoliating on, for both air circulation and uncovering growing points that will produce a nice bud if uncovered..

The lights are cranked up to about 80-85%. I'm going to try for higher. I seem to have gotten a handle on the increased nutrient needs to prevent burning them. Almost all will show slight Mg deficiency, in spite of Cal/Mag or epsom salts with every watering, and a good dose of alfalfa meal in the soil.

• Like 5

You are going to have some big girls with 7 weeks vegging. Some crosses stretch early and some late so unless you are familiar with these particular plants it is difficult to anticipate which will do what.
I think I would want to be around for week 2 to do training or pruning if needed. What's another week of veg gonna hurt at this point?

Best of luck and have a nice trip.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BeachBud said:

You are going to have some big girls with 7 weeks vegging. Some crosses stretch early and some late so unless you are familiar with these particular plants it is difficult to anticipate which will do what.
I think I would want to be around for week 2 to do training or pruning if needed. What's another week of veg gonna hurt at this point?

Best of luck and have a nice trip.

Now it looks like I'm leaving Sunday night and returning Friday. Flipping a week before I leave is OUT. The other two options are not as worrisome.

lol, who knew growing weed was so complicated.

• Like 1

Lights out today will mark the end of 8 weeks veg. They have bushed out a bit. Some of the taller girls had a little super cropping and bending on their tallest branches, but height is not an issue here at the end of vegging.

I'm going with my flipping as I head out the door option, leaving them alone for the first 5 days of flower. They'll probably have just woken up from their vegging slumbers when I get back, and no unreasonable stretch will have occurred by then. (I said it. Now it's up cannabis karma to slap me silly.)

IMG_6744.thumb.jpeg.c5867dd15eee364877f9a6f175bf84c4.jpeg

These girls are poised for greatness. I can feel it in my bones.

They got beneficial nematodes this past week, along with a dose of microbes. Everyone is over-joyed, except this bitch:

IMG_6745.thumb.jpeg.f88bbbbc62fec15de5d495b1ce69a174.jpeg

But she seems to be improving. This seems to be extreme Mg deficiency, related to pH. She prefers more acidic soil. Here sister here has similar problems, except she's very vigorous, in spite of my apparent inability to keep acid-loving cannabis plants happy.

IMG_6746.thumb.jpeg.bfc0254f89cf06a3d817b2dd7361a3f9.jpeg

I may have over-compensated toward making things acidic. But I'm not fucking with this one strain anymore. They're going to be flowered with the rest.

There has been a bit of a fungus gnat problem.

IMG_6742.thumb.jpeg.236ae379bb41c60f3289d97925946868.jpeg

10 million nematodes later, I put up a fresh sticky trap. Let's see what it looks like in a couple of weeks.

IMG_6743.thumb.jpeg.64aee215c619f4c63f17e5949c7a21af.jpeg

It just occurred to me that when I first started doing grow reports, I'd try to emphasize the positive. Now I highlight the unhappy plants and speculate as to why they failed me.

• Like 6

That’s a good shot there of the outcome with the pests.  Good to see the before and after.  I have a buddy that keeps lady bugs in his tent at all times just in case.  It has had a positive effect for him as well, ever since he had his first infestation.  It’s pretty cool to see pictures of his lady Bugs always hanging out with beautiful plants.

I had an issue once myself and I just scrapped it all and discarded everything as they were very small.  I cleaned the tent up and did some self reflection on how I fucked up.

I started taking the approach that my plants hate to see me, so I will disturb them as least as possible.  I approach the room as clean as possible as to not bring anything with me along the way.  Ounce of prevention and pound of cure thing.   Several years without any issues now, so this approach is working for me.  I was the dirty bastard that caused the issues.

• Like 1

Also, maybe you mentioned it and I missed it.  The first thing that comes to my mind is watering the plants.  You will be gone for five days.  Do you have electric controls and a pump, reservoir, and piping to auto water?  Just curious.  If I’m prying too much just tell me so.  This is definitely a good forum with very good growers that probably dealt with leaves of absence like this and have come up with good alternatives.  Not me, While I do frequent Colorado, I don’t do so while I have plants growing.  So I’m definitely not a good source that has had experience with alternative watering ideas.  That is of course, if you don’t have a helper, which in that case, problem solved.

1 hour ago, 2ndgeneration grower said:

Also, maybe you mentioned it and I missed it.  The first thing that comes to my mind is watering the plants.  You will be gone for five days.  Do you have electric controls and a pump, reservoir, and piping to auto water?  Just curious.  If I’m prying too much just tell me so.  This is definitely a good forum with very good growers that probably dealt with leaves of absence like this and have come up with good alternatives.  Not me, While I do frequent Colorado, I don’t do so while I have plants growing.  So I’m definitely not a good source that has had experience with alternative watering ideas.  That is of course, if you don’t have a helper, which in that case, problem solved.

My job takes me away from my grow for up to 12 days at a time, so I've been through this sort of thing before — even during stretch. It's just been a while, due to the pandemic.

I use Blumats for watering when I'm away. They work well for as long as the reservoir lasts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just before I flipped them and walked out the door on Sunday the plants looked like this:

IMG_6750.thumb.jpeg.385b8d1173812055f21f4ea9e4a2a97a.jpeg

Then, after 5 or 6 days of stretch, no big deal:

IMG_6880.thumb.jpeg.cd9f7a915f0ea60e7be158148aaf0bce.jpeg

The only misbehaving girl is the Lemon Sunrise clone. until a few weeks ago, I forgot that when it is topped, the first internodes of the resulting branches grow to be about twice as long as they would normally grow, completely destroying any height-restriction from the topping. She's going to be trouble, as usual. She grows more like a vine than a pot plant.

The Roots Organics products seem to be doing a good job. The lights are at about 85 or 90%, no sign burning or cupping at all. We'll see how everything tastes and smells, soon enough.

There are plenty of additives I wonder about — kelp, amino acids, etc. I recently interviewed a bunch of farmers (not pot farmers), and one of them was sold on amino acids. I wonder how much "bro science" exists in real-farmer world?

• Like 6

After 2 weeks of stretch, the tent is beginning to look a little jungle-like, but not out of control.

IMG_6902.thumb.jpeg.b816260abf41ceb5b937329b5618d600.jpeg

The vine-like lemon sunrise was moved to the corner, where she can be monitored. I get complaints from the other plants, "Lemon Sunrise is touching me! Tell her to stop!" I've threatened to turn this tent around, but they know it's an empty threat. So LS has been tied and pruned.

That back corner has a couple of shorties in it — my whorled phyllotaxy Blueberry Butcher and my short Scarlet Begonias. Both looking good:

820094930_IMG_6904labeled.thumb.jpeg.57ccb40644985c75e2e4dd3d60672435.jpeg

The tall phenos are playing well together. Here they are with their bound-n-gagged Lemon Sunrise sister:

1856152924_IMG_6907labeled.thumb.jpg.9b4c0818c3aa40f8017f3efb8da2b46e.jpg

Everything is going well, except fungus gnats have never been worse. The nematodes are not controlling them. I think I'm going to try both Bti and a predatory mite. No real pests, though, just these nuisances.

• Like 3