•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Still stretching — end of week 3:

IMG_6915.thumb.jpeg.1049db3f146debcbf36a4e5d78e68955.jpeg

Those shorties in the back corner are in a hole now. I'll have to find suitable booster seats for the short Scarlet Begonias and the short Blueberry Butcher. But none of these are a big deal, stretch-wise.

It also helps that I seem to have nutrition for LEDs dialed in. It's been at 100% power for a few days, and only one complaint — from a Dark Hollow with pH issues.

• Like 5

This Scarlet Begonias gal, from the center of the tent, already has a sweet, spicy scent (3 weeks and a day in 12/12). Smells a bit like apple and spice, but I wonder if I'm imagining the apple part, because the spices seem to go with apple. It could be that the strain description provided suggestions that make me think "apples." Whatever, I think this one will kick ass.

IMG_6917.thumb.jpeg.ce6d8a67d5c48e4933550aed2753c266.jpeg

Part of the description:

The aromas are complex and beautiful. Warmer conditions seem to bring out the sweeter flavors. The high comes on fast and has no ceiling. Scarlet Begonias has been reported to help ease the effects of depression and stress.

Flowering Time: 63-70 Days

Yield: Huge Harvests

Potency: 30% THC-A

Effects: Energetic, Euphoric, Clear Mind, Focused, Motivated

Aroma and Flavor: Spicy Green Apples, Champagne, Roses, Hints of Fuel

I can't vouch for any of this, except the potency of all Irie's wares that I've grown is way up there. In his podcast, he claims that late at night, when everyone is about as stoned as they can get, Scarlet Begonias cuts through and actually makes people feel higher. Who doesn't need that?

He has two more strains described as "ceilingless," which I have, waiting in Fort Knox to be germed. This one does NOT include a warning for panic attacks among newbies, which should be interesting. Usually, ceilingless and panic attack go hand-in-hand.

• Like 4

On 11/28/2021 at 12:26 PM, Misterdirt said:

After 2 weeks of stretch, the tent is beginning to look a little jungle-like, but not out of control.

IMG_6902.thumb.jpeg.b816260abf41ceb5b937329b5618d600.jpeg

The vine-like lemon sunrise was moved to the corner, where she can be monitored. I get complaints from the other plants, "Lemon Sunrise is touching me! Tell her to stop!" I've threatened to turn this tent around, but they know it's an empty threat. So LS has been tied and pruned.

That back corner has a couple of shorties in it — my whorled phyllotaxy Blueberry Butcher and my short Scarlet Begonias. Both looking good:

820094930_IMG_6904labeled.thumb.jpeg.57ccb40644985c75e2e4dd3d60672435.jpeg

The tall phenos are playing well together. Here they are with their bound-n-gagged Lemon Sunrise sister:

1856152924_IMG_6907labeled.thumb.jpg.9b4c0818c3aa40f8017f3efb8da2b46e.jpg

Everything is going well, except fungus gnats have never been worse. The nematodes are not controlling them. I think I'm going to try both Bti and a predatory mite. No real pests, though, just these nuisances.

Dryer sheets worked wonders for me. Since ending the last run I’ve seen maybe two flyers max. Haven’t used the sheets at all on the 4 big girls in flower now. 
generic cheap dryer sheets !

• Like 1

Their Dark Hollow has my interest based on GMO, going to maybe grab a couple GMO crosses since I fuked up trying to buy the clone. It still hurts lol. 

how much has the Dark Hollow stretched for you ? I ignore his abnormally high thc % numbers because if they were legit his already well received gear would get far more credit. 
it’s another one I like but damn recall. Ocd=  gotta check now. Lol 

it’s the HellFire OG = oh yes but medium yields. Oh well it is still desirable imho. 

seems he’s added a few more strains that have a effects description I like. At least 3/4 more. 
So, now will hunt grows with those to check feedback and effects. 
unfortunately so many started threads are never finished. 

13 hours ago, Sacred Plant Warrior said:

Their Dark Hollow has my interest based on GMO, going to maybe grab a couple GMO crosses since I fuked up trying to buy the clone. It still hurts lol. 

how much has the Dark Hollow stretched for you ? I ignore his abnormally high thc % numbers because if they were legit his already well received gear would get far more credit. 
it’s another one I like but damn recall. Ocd=  gotta check now. Lol 

it’s the HellFire OG = oh yes but medium yields. Oh well it is still desirable imho. 

seems he’s added a few more strains that have a effects description I like. At least 3/4 more. 
So, now will hunt grows with those to check feedback and effects. 
unfortunately so many started threads are never finished. 

The dark hollow stretch has not been bad at all — they are almost as tall as the tallest in the tent, but as you can see, I still have plenty of room between the light and the plant tops. Expect it to double in height.

His potency numbers are legit. Not that I've sent them to a lab yet (I will though, with the buds I get from this run, so stay tuned), but I'm regularly amazed when I try a new plant. But as my signature says, place no head above your own — see for yourself. For me, this breeder is a major find.

He keeps strain descriptions on his website, even after he's discontinued it. I'd say about half the strains listed are no longer available at seed sellers, but are floating around. Hellfire OG is one of them.

Since you are an indica guy, consider Dark Hollow, Double Dose, Morning Dew, Lady Marmalade or The Cream. I would also guess Bebop would be right up your alley. A friend who's wife cannot handle sativas absolutely LOVES Bebop. For me it was quite stony. I used it as a sleep aid.

• Thanks 1

This is how they looked yesterday morning, about 3 weeks, 5 days.

2000757982_IMG_6925labeled.thumb.jpg.1a3e3488728880626557568a89dcb11d.jpg

It's taken from the side, so you can see the shorties in the back.

Scarlet Begonias are producing amazing scents. The one right in the center is strong apple and spice. The one to its left is sweet and spicy with some of the wine/champagne notes mentioned in the description. The short one on the right is supposed to have some Romulan qualities from one of the grandparents. Anyway, this particular strain has a lot of phenos. Each of the four seem different from each other.

I'm not getting much, scent-wise, off the rest. So far, just sweet smells. (Except for Lemon Sunrise, in the corner, which is a clone, so more terps early are expected.)

Added some fungus gnat-eating soil mites this week and the population seems to be dropping, finally. This was way too big an infestation for nematodes. I'm thinking they must have been in a bag of soil material that I bought for this run.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Sacred Plant Warrior said:

Dryer sheets worked wonders for me. Since ending the last run I’ve seen maybe two flyers max. Haven’t used the sheets at all on the 4 big girls in flower now. 
generic cheap dryer sheets !

How do you utilize them? Gnats are a bitch, they seem to be more of a nuisance than damage to the plants but with Promix seems to be a given you get them.

image.png.69b0c2aa7baec82f10b1a905ae6f6d95.png

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 9:50 AM, oldschoolsg said:

image.png.69b0c2aa7baec82f10b1a905ae6f6d95.png

Adding nematodes was the first thing I did. I was too late, it seems. Now I've got nematodes, predacious mites and Mosquito Bits (Bt) in there.

I must have used something that was infested — soil or worm castings. From now on I'm going to bombard them as soon as I see a single gnat.

On a good note, no sign of thrips, which were an annoyance last year.

• Like 2

I've used everything and still get them. Even used Azera for thrips, and the gnats survived. Maybe I am just bringing them in again with the Promix? But hell they are persistent.

1 hour ago, gardenartus said:

I've used everything and still get them. Even used Azera for thrips, and the gnats survived. Maybe I am just bringing them in again with the Promix? But hell they are persistent.

Luckily they're just an annoyance… until I start seeing them stuck to the trichs on a mature bud. I might deck the halls with yellow sticky traps.

• Like 2

Have them hung all over, outdoors the gnat trap with water and apple cider seem to really keep control, does not work as well indoors. I found Thrip flies in my bud, I was like OMG how many bugs do we actually smoke.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hopefully the population will continue to drop. The buds are just starting to be fun, at 4.5 weeks.

Scarlet Begonias has a bunch of phenos — at least 4 main ones, displaying a trait of one grandparent, parent, or the other. This is the one with some Kush-like characteristics — longer internodes, particularly. At this point she has a sweet apple scent. Now the internodes aren't that long, so I may be mistaken and this could be another version of the next tall one.

IMG_6934.thumb.jpeg.d323c8e85d635a7db0c19e6c58fd9aab.jpeg

This might be a pheno showing more haze characteristics. She smells like apple and spice at this point. She's right in the middle, getting the most intense light. She's showing a few deficiencies, but seems to be holding up without frying:

IMG_6935.thumb.jpeg.f278c2c115e245661f835cc67f5e5b3b.jpeg

I fondly remember the days of low-nute Esko strains. Those days seem to be over.

This is a medium-short one. Its scent is stinky, sweaty foot and spice:

IMG_6936.thumb.jpeg.ad854d8b8e8914dff1444e750be60830.jpeg

This is the shortest one. The smell is intense sweetness.

IMG_6937.thumb.jpeg.69fa2b31e019d0381ae9b99e0ed03254.jpeg

All the strains I'm growing now are described as "tall plants" in the strain description, but they're really not, if you top once and occasionally squash the stalk of a branch that gets ideas of soaring too close to the sun. (Take that, Icarus!)

So anyway — Apple Terps!!! This is too cool.

• Like 4

It's the end of 5 weeks of flower, so it's picture time.

Here they are from the front and side window. The side window shot seems best, with those tall girls at the tent entrance.

IMG_6941.thumb.jpeg.e1282142a9b34c658b5c7a92b0cbbea3.jpeg

The three in the front, from L to R, are Lemon Sunrise, Scarlet Begonias and a Blueberry Butcher.

IMG_6946.thumb.jpeg.4475c35e5758ac0d9178811132f62d20.jpeg

Ropes and cables, galore! I stuck the far red light bar in there. Now I wish I got two, just for coverage. At this time, it's on the same timer as the main light. I may get another timer and extend the FR lighting about a half hour into the dark period when I try to get them to flower faster, next grow.

One of the apple scented SB gals is changing from apple scented, and includes more stanky, kushy scents.

IMG_6942.thumb.jpeg.c789b671d024feb494e42e501569e417.jpeg

Her heavily apple-scented sister is still heavily apple-scented. She's like a honey crisp. She also looks like a major producer. I hope she rings my bell.

IMG_6943.thumb.jpeg.74cb67cdfe8623e723bef1e98d0c9f7e.jpeg

This SB has a horrendous stink-foot smell:

IMG_6947.thumb.jpeg.34e185d18e228231082a5d865b2d5ab7.jpeg

Somewhat less impressive, at this point, are the Blueberry Butchers. They run a couple of weeks longer, though.

IMG_6948.thumb.jpeg.cb662d95c73d101637baa0920eb2394c.jpeg

Two smell like the Blueberry Cookies parent — fruity and minty. The third, which is also my whirled phylotaxy plant, has plenty of scents from the Jack the Ripper parent. At least they are reminiscent of the scent of Vortex, which I grow about 12 years ago.

IMG_6953.thumb.jpeg.19b8305ff26f0f661b270a660673124e.jpeg

Anyway, I think she has at least another 6 weeks.

Dark Hollow isn't doing quite as well, but this one definitely has the Garlic, Mushrooms and Onions scent of GMO. Of course, the GMO that I've smelled was from a dispensary, so this smells a lot better.

IMG_6950.thumb.jpeg.e56ab0d271467bf9a455028457aa4e5f.jpeg

This was one of my plants that wanted slightly more acidic pH, then I over-did it. Looks like too much N, at this point. Fuck it, she gets what everyone else gets.

And finally, ol' Lemon Sunrise.

IMG_6955.thumb.jpeg.4a70631bfc676c1d0780ef683dbbd123.jpeg

It's hard to believe her buds will develop enough to harvest in 3 weeks. I think she'll easily go 4 or 5. I think it's the poor position in the tent. I was under the impression LS was more sensitive to extreme light from the LEDs, but it was really because she's a nutrient hog and she didn't get enough nutes in previous grows. 

I hope to run @smilestyle's Lemon Thai again this summer and cross a male to some of my keeper females. LT F3 is about the most intense lemon rush I've ever experienced. I think a cross with Golden Goat would outshine the Lemon Sunrise, if it increases potency enough.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's the end of week 6, so here's the group shot of the girls, labeled for the scent they give off when I rub a sugar leaf.

936326560_IMG_6968scentlabels.thumb.jpeg.51da832490c38bd96681b416b30e45c0.jpeg

I figure I can really attract some non-smokers to try weed if I explain how good it smells.  Who is going to resist these? If there was a Armpit and Spice candle, they wouldn't be able to keep it in stock.

The tent, itself, smells like a sweet musk when I open it. The more nasty-sounding scents I only get when I rub sugar leaves.

Just for the hell of it, the view from the front:

IMG_6966.thumb.jpeg.3a639ae609453e96a0bdb9fa3e39cdb6.jpeg

They're fading earlier than I had hoped. I seem to have satisfied the Cal/Mag demands, but I need to give them a lot more N during late veg and early flower. The Scarlet Begonias faded least — except for the one in the center of the tent, under the most intense light. The Lemon Sunrise also didn't fade much, and her buds are starting to build. Up until now, she looked like a plant full of popcorn buds.

I've got a couple of HLG 65w lights on their way, to replace the 400w flouro tube light in my 2' x 4' clone/seedling tent. I might actually get my grow tents coordinated sometime soon, with plants going into the flowering tent almost as soon as others are harvested. Ha! Just kidding. But chances of it happening accidentally could increase.

The clones all look great. I just wish I knew which I will consider keepers, if any. I REALLY hope the buzz from apple terp plants ring my bell. I wonder how those will cure.

• Like 4

Here's the gang in their potassium-lock-out-caused early fading glory.

IMG_6976.thumb.jpeg.95ef45975beea0aa419a53adaed97f23.jpeg

With help from @Hempyfan and @e$kob@r, I retraced all my actions. My troubles began when I added a high P containing liquid fert early in flower. I'm now convinced that resulted in K lockout (and possibly other nutrient lockouts, but there is no doubt about the K, which is probably the main problem).

Then, thinking this was an N deficiency, I added more N, resulting in the hooked leaves.

Oh well. This is always a danger when using a new nutrient line. Roots Organics is way too complicated for a simpleton like myself. But I have a bunch of their nutes, so I'm going to use them up during the next grow, noting not to use the "HP" additive. Until the point of using it, the only issue I had was from trying to make the soil in two of the pots slightly more acidic, and then ended up making them MORE than slightly more...

The Dark Hollow plants (the acid-preferring ones), a Blueberry Butcher and the sweet apple scented Scarlet Begonia plant will likely be done in another couple of weeks, judging from the look of them today. I picked off a small bud of each and will give them a taste later this week. Dark Hollow smells like garlic + other savory scents. The Blueberry Butcher is blueberry-mint + some kind of nasty body odor-type stink. The sweet apple Scarlet Begonia plant smells like… Hmm, I just don't know, maybe sweet apples.

Until next time, I'll be easing up on the P. And the N. And pretty much all the nutrients.

• Like 6

That is what happened to me, but instead of using individuals, I used the whole fert, I really screwed up. Way too many ferts and having to try to correct it, damn near killed a couple. Sometimes I don't think my brain works correctly, cause I know better than adding ferts when you don't know what the issue is.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gardenartus said:

That is what happened to me, but instead of using individuals, I used the whole fert, I really screwed up. Way too many ferts and having to try to correct it, damn near killed a couple. Sometimes I don't think my brain works correctly, cause I know better than adding ferts when you don't know what the issue is.

The problem with soil is that once you add, you can't go back. Well, you can with N a bit, but that P is probably stuck in my soil for a while. The soil in those pots will be going into a new, outdoor raised bed for tomatoes, this spring.

• Like 3

On 12/26/2021 at 12:33 PM, gardenartus said:

I am really interested in how that apple turns out, you have some nice smelling buds in there.

The ever-evolving scents on these plants are amazing. One is still very apple. The one that was developing an apple-wine scent has gone more toward the wine side and the apple is just a scent you can pick up in the background. This strain is touted as a "ceilingless sativa," but the scents of all four plants are different. It will be fun to sort through them with a pipe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Misterdirt said:

The problem with soil is that once you add, you can't go back. Well, you can with N a bit, but that P is probably stuck in my soil for a while. The soil in those pots will be going into a new, outdoor raised bed for tomatoes, this spring.

Exactly, having to flush and repot. I am seeing a bit of new growth, hell it was gray and brown because of too much ferts. I have never done this before, hope I never get this stupid again.

2 hours ago, gardenartus said:

Exactly, having to flush and repot. I am seeing a bit of new growth, hell it was gray and brown because of too much ferts. I have never done this before, hope I never get this stupid again.

Oh yeah. I could kick myself for using a new line of nutrients without first going to the "USE HALF THE AMOUNT, AT MOST" rule.