•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Misterdirt

Bluelab Soil pH pen

I was not thrilled with the Hanna pH/conductivity pen I've been using — takes forever to come to a stable reading, so I splurged on a Bluelab soil pH pen. Not only can you use it to measure pH of liquids, you can put it directly into the soil and get good, stable readings.

IMG_6747.thumb.jpeg.ed073e24d050504ec67a38939bb6841d.jpeg

Anyway, after using it, I'm now thrilled. It got just about the same pH putting the probe directly in the soil as the slurry pH.

I have a feeling I might go off on a soil pH reading-spree.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Damn, I had no idea BL made one for soil. I love my BL for juice measurements.

I do not know what happened to Hanna and their hand held readers. Mine was very expensive and only lasted a few years before stuff started to weird out on it. When I contacted Hanna, they wanted more to repair it than I was ready to go in for. Now my BL has lasted more than 3 times longer then Hanna did and was about 2/3rd's cheaper.

When I was working in a test center many many years ago, Hanna products were the go to for the smart folks. I just made stuff for the smart folks.

• Like 1

For portable pH pens, Hanna and companies like Oakton (or Oak-something) were pretty much it for a while. I had heard about Bluelab being rock-steady and was going to get a normal one, then I saw this thing.

My old soil chemistry professor, if he's not dead and rolling in his grave at the existence of this thing, would drop dead and roll over at the existence of this thing. Getting soil pH without doing a slurry was not possible 30 years back.

It's not cheap, but it's only about $20 more than my Hanna pH/EC pen. But I'm writing the fucker off as a business expense. I'll take a few pH readings next time I'm in the field.

• Like 3

One thing I need to pick up, forgot what I had but it stopped working a few years back. That is a bit higher price tag, but that is a nice unit.

On 11/15/2021 at 12:20 PM, gardenartus said:

One thing I need to pick up, forgot what I had but it stopped working a few years back. That is a bit higher price tag, but that is a nice unit.

Yeah, it's pricey, but since I run a soil-related business, it came out of the business account. Their regular pH pen is supposed to be great, and it's the reason I was looking at Bluelab in the first place.

I hate watching a pH meter slowly work its way to the reading. It makes me avoid taking pH.

• Like 2

Interesting and they all don’t have sinse enough to mention it’s water ph capable too. So, I checked on blue labs Aussie site. 

so, yeah I can see why u like it misterdirt and easy grab when u can do the business thing. 

as long as I’m still here and my water doesn’t change I can do without it easily but I sure do want one smdh ! Look what you gone and done misterdirt lol. If I get two nice harvests in next year I’ll buy one from donation expenses wink 

• Like 1