•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Misterdirt

Anyone try far red light to cut flowering time?

I splurged on a far red light, with the idea that it could shorten flowering time. An acquaintance said it cuts flowering time by about a week.

IMG_6921.thumb.jpeg.bcac4d7e4ceb1883ea5a2f5e4b7b4b01.jpeg

(It has a darker appearance, in real life, but an iPhone camera turns it pink.)

Has anyone done this? My thought is to run it for up to an hour before lights out and then up to another hour after lights out, to stimulate phytochrome-FR production.

• Like 2

I'll use it in my next run. I figure if I see buds start to form before 2 weeks into 12/12, it's probably working. Far red triggers flowering, but it also boosts growth through the Emerson Effect. The Emerson Effect is not my goal, but it might come along for the ride.

The Emerson Effect was discovered after my undergrad days, which indicates using it throughout flowering will increase yields. There are apparently two photosynthesis systems in plants, using different parts of the spectrum. The red-far red system gives a major boost to the system using the other wavelengths of light. Unfortunately, it also promotes elongation.

• Like 4

I have just started to hang my LED's from GrowLightAustralia, in my hidden area, at least until the final inspection is complete. Should have been done by August, but here we are. Like a dumbass, when I was told, August would be a finish date, I started some beans, last of July.....so damn foolish.

With the incentives, and a great shipping price, I was able to secure 4- 470 long boards, plug and play kits. https://growlightsaustralia.com/product/470w-plug-play/

These LED's are extremely well crafted. A true single hand use adjuster, dimmable, Mean Well drivers. It may have taken 10 minutes to assemble. I could remote the driver away from the board, I do like that. Deeper blues and more far red than I could find elsewhere. Super fine fit and finish to every speck on these boards. 

I did see the Buddies, an add on a bit like your showing, but flexible.  https://growlightsaustralia.com/product-category/buddies/ and NOW Misterdirt, you got my damned mind running in circles as I relook at these Buddy  add on strips. 

Since I still can not get rolling, just holding all these plants, in place sort of. I'm already completely in love with one GLA  I got glowing, and I'm dedicating one to growing vegetables in my basement, along with holding my over winter plants, in that area also.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Misterdirt said:

I'll use it in my next run. I figure if I see buds start to form before 2 weeks into 12/12, it's probably working. Far red triggers flowering, but it also boosts growth through the Emerson Effect. The Emerson Effect is not my goal, but it might come along for the ride.

The Emerson Effect was discovered after my undergrad days, which indicates using it throughout flowering will increase yields. There are apparently two photosynthesis systems in plants, using different parts of the spectrum. The red-far red system gives a major boost to the system using the other wavelengths of light. Unfortunately, it also promotes elongation.

I am going to have to do some reading on that, you piqued my interest.