•     ai.php.gif instagramlogo.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
tacman7

Current Affairs Wrap

So looking back I over the last year I think of all that happened, some things stick out...

Climate out of control
The last five years have cost $742 billion in 86 separate billion-dollar weather disasters, an average of more than 17 a year, a new record. That’s nearly $100 billion more than the combined total of all the billion-dollar disasters from 1980 to 2004, adjusted for inflation and far more than the three billion-dollar disasters a year that the nation averaged in the 1980s.
“That’s exactly what I’d expect with climate change because climate change is essentially supercharging many types of extreme weather, making heat waves, droughts, wildfires, intense rainfall, flooding and storms more severe, destructive and deadly,” said Jonathan Overpeck, dean of environmental studies at the University of Michigan, who wasn’t part of the reports.

Opiates
Drug Overdose Deaths in the U.S. Top 100,000 Annually
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/nchs_press_releases/2021/20211117.htm

Anything stick out in your mind?

• Sad 2

Used to be if you aspired to become a junkie you had to work at it, takes a lot of money to afford a drug habit.

Now normal people are getting hooked by just taking a few sleeping pills.

And we never acted like that!

My sister saw this as a homeless problem but really strong drugs sold really cheap seems to be my take on it.

I lost my only child to drugs. She was a brilliant girl, very talented. She got her adenoids out at the age of 12, they gave her Vicoden, she became immediately addicted, destroyed her life.

• Sad 1

So sorry for your loss! I can't imagen. 

Drugs definitely a part of my life but I made it out alive.

Something about the press release last week gave me pause, 100k drug deaths is hard to fathom.

All the military actions and back and forth, all police shootings, none short of covid has higher death rate.

Death was always a risk for serious drug abusers, I lost friends here and there all along.

Don't know why I chose that as my career.

But things are different now. Stories everyday where 3 or 4 people OD'd at one location.

That's because fentanyl is so strong the people who make the pills can't measure it properly.

So some pills will kill you right off.

It's crazy out there!

• Like 1

If you don't mind me asking, what is your career? It is very sad, at one time in my life I worked in an Insane Asylum, some were there because they fried their brains. The world right now hurts my soul, so much anger, so much abuse, and then the homeless, vets, drug addicts, the very sad state we are in today.

Not really, just seems like it.

I was always a carpenter and worked extra jobs to afford drugs.

I was into drugs in high school and eventually an addict.

Seems like a career when I look at my friends who's lives moved on while I was stuck on drugs.

I was on methadone maintenance program for 17 years and got drug free in 95.

So starting over in 95 was good and a lot of what people did I avoided.

Like I have no ex wife payments, mortgage payments, child support, etc.

It was after I met my wife in 2010 that I got growing pot and using it carefully.

• Like 1

I misunderstood huh :) Good on you, drugs are hard to get off, but methadone is as well. Cannabis is amazing, so many have gotten off alcohol and hard drugs.